Last Updated on by
What is Almond oil?
The popularity of Almonds has been soaring across the world, not only as an edible nut but also in the form of the versatile almond oil. Almond is a nut that is derived from the Prunus dulcis tree. The almond oil is extracted from this nut and has wonderful properties are beneficial for hair, skin, brain and overall health of an individual. Almond oil is the ideal source for vitamin E, proteins, fatty acids, zinc and vitamin K. The best thing about almond oil is that it is not harsh on the body and has no side effects. So, it can be used by one and all, including your little ones.
Properties of Almond Oil
Almond oil has superb skin benefits for adults and for babies too, and it is the master of all trades for various parts of the body. It has the following qualities that will make you want to go and buy this oil right away.
|Prevents cancer||Enhances blood circulation||Treats dandruff|
|Energy booster||Reduces dark circles||Prevents heart problems|
|Skin massage||Helps skin’s softness||Immunity booster|
What are the benefits of using almond oil for babies?
Babies have the most sensitive skin that must be treated with the utmost care. Almond oil And when parents look for a natural oil to massage the baby, they turn towards almond oil because almond oil can go a long way in keeping that soft skin of babies supple and healthy without causing damage to it. It has the following benefits ( Yes, the list is too long but almond oil has even more benefits than these! )
- Repairs dry skin– Almond oil is a natural moisturizer. In case of dry skin, almond oil can provide concrete results within a week. Baby’s skin readily absorbs almond oil and that keeps it soft and supple.
- Good for blood circulation– Regular almond oil massages can improve blood circulation in babies.
- Reduces indigestion– Almond oil has laxative properties that can provide better digestion. In case of indigestion, a warm massage on baby’s tummy would help. Avoid massaging the navel directly as the navel in a newborn is soft and sensitive.
- Relaxes your baby– Almond oil has soothing properties that can help baby relax. It improves blood circulation that helps in the relaxation of muscles.
- Promotes hair growth– Almond oil is very beneficial for baby hair. Vitamin E and magnesium present in almond oil promote hair growth and keeps hair strong. Regular head massages can also prevent hair fall in babies.
- Strengthens your bond with your baby– A daily ritual of almond oil massage with your baby can give you ‘we time’ wherein you spend time with your baby, talk to him/her and physical touch brings about more closeness between the baby and the parent.
- Removes cradle cap– Cradle caps are yellow or brown scales on the head and are commonly noticed in babies. Almond oil is extremely beneficial in treating cradle cap.
- Protects your baby from rashes– It is an effective moisturizing agent that prevents rashes. Almond oil is edible so it can take care of chapped lips as well.
- Evens skin tone– Babies have the most sensitive skin that can be prone to unevenness. Almond oil helps bring evenness in baby skin as it has vitamin E.
- Improves bone health– Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin D and calcium which improves the bone health of the baby giving him/her healthy bones for the rest of his/her life.
- Doesn’t clog pores– Almond oil is light and doesn’t clog pores. So, one can use it before and after giving the baby a bath. (Check here for the causes, tips, and remedies for the clogged pores in adults.)
- Helps moisturize baby skin– Almond oil is one of the best natural moisturizers and baby skin readily absorbs it which leaves it soft and moisturized.
- Treats eczema and other skin allergies– Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin A, B6, B2, E etc. These vitamins keep skin problems away and make baby’s skin soft and healthy. In adults, eczema can be treated with home remedies up to some extent.
- Good for brain and nerve– Almonds are always recommended to people with bad memory as it is a memory booster. Similarly, almond oil is good for the brain and nerves.
- Helps sleep better– It soothes muscles and improves blood circulation which helps baby relax and sleep better.
Steps to Apply Oil to Your Baby-
Applying oil to a baby is not rocket science but a few tips and tricks can enhance the experience for your little one.
Step 1- Massage the Legs & Feet
Firstly, buy verified natural almond oil that is not adulterated. Open the bottle and pour a few drops on your palm. Rub your palms together to spread it all over your hands while also warming it up a little. The golden rule here is to always start with the leg as it would give you an idea of how comfortable the baby is. Gently rub it all over his leg and thigh in an up-down motion. Start from the thigh and rub it down towards the feet. Repeat the same procedure on the other leg. Make sure to also oil the soles of the feet. It would be hygienic to clean the sole before applying oil if the baby has walked barefooted.
Step 2- Massage the Arms & Hands
Use the same technique for arms and hands as well. Start from the shoulder and oil your way down towards the hands of the baby. Make sure to put some oil in the spaces between his/her fingers.
Step 3- Massage the Chest
Now come to the chest and make sure the baby is ready for it. Put some oil on your palms, rub them gently and join your palms while placing your hands (pinkie finger should face down) over the centre of the chest of your baby and then move your palms outwards towards the shoulder. Repeats this a couple of times and then place your hand over the centre of the chest and stroke downwards gently towards the stomach. Repeat the same 3-4 times.
Step 4- Back Massage
Babies enjoy this part the most – back massage! Turn your baby over and make him/her lay on the stomach. Pour some oil on your palm, rub your hands and place them below the back of his neck. Gently stroke downwards from there towards the waist. Just go along the spine but remember not to put too much pressure.
Step 5- Head Massage
For head massage, apply some oil on the scalp and gently rotate your palm on the head of the baby. Again, remember to not put too much pressure, just pat slowly.
Is It Safe to Use Almond Oil for Baby Massage?
Parents by nature are inherently protective towards their babies and the question of almond oil is safe or not is natural to pop up in their heads. There’s good news for all the worried parents out there – Forget your qualms because yes, it is safe to use almond oil for baby massage. It is an organic product full of vitamins, proteins and fatty acids that are all harmless. Almond oil has no registered side effects on babies, though bitter almond oil can cause food poisoning and should be avoided.
The following precautions can be kept in mind while giving babies an oil massage-
- Needless to say, note the expiry date of the almond oil before buying.
- Only buy good quality natural almond oil that is unadulterated. Cold pressed oils are the best as they don’t undergo any heated or chemical based extraction process, and that conserves all the nutrients.
- Don’t forget that excess oil can cause rashes. So, always wipe off extra oil from baby skin using a clean napkin.
- Ensure that the oil doesn’t enter the nose, ears or eyes of your baby as it can cause irritation and other problems.
- Be cautious of your oil-laden slippery hands! Always wash your hands before picking up your baby after giving him/her an oil massage.
- Always check for reactions or side effects before you start applying any oil on regular basis.