Last Updated on by
What Is Argan Oil?
Argan oil is extracted from the kernels of argan trees grown in the Moroccan region. Hence, the oil is also called Moroccan oil or Moroccan Argan Oil. The oil has a consistency similar to that of the grapeseed oil which is largely used on the face. The oil is neither too thick nor too runny, which makes it perfect for using on the face. It is suitable for all skin types – normal, dry, oily and combination. It can also be used by people suffering from heavy acne and scarring. Argan oil contains fatty acids, squalene, carotenes, protein, tocopherols, fatty acids, omega, linoleic acids, vitamin E, etc which are beneficial for the nourishment of the skin.
Argan Oil Benefits For Face
The following are some benefits of using argan oil on face:
Argan oil is a natural oil extracted from argan trees. It hydrates, soothes, calms and moisturises the skin. It leaves the skin feeling soft and supple. It doesn’t leave a greasy residue on the face and gets absorbed quickly into the skin. The oil has unsaturated fats which soften the texture of the skin.
Argan oil has several nutrients – fatty acids, squalene, carotenes, protein, tocopherols, fatty acids, omega, linoleic acids and vitamin E which help in nourishing and restoring health back to the skin. The nutrients, fats and minerals in the oil get absorbed by the skin cells. It restores and maintains the moisture content of the skin.
3. Fights Acne
Argan oil has a mild consistency which makes it perfect for oily to combination skin. The oil does not clog the pores and give rise to acne. It nourishes and smoothes out the skin without accumulating dirt and grime. The oil also has anti-inflammatory properties which prevent pimples and blemishes. It also fights against the appearance of dark spots and scarring after the acne has reduced.
4. Controls Excess Oil
Argan oil controls the production of natural oil, i.e., sebum on the face. Excess oil is a major cause for oily skin and other issue arising from it – pimples, blemishes, clogged pores, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and shiny T-zone. Argan oil is light in consistency and quickly gets absorbed. Hence, it does not clog the pores and accumulate dirt and grime from the surroundings.
5. Doesn’t Clog Pores
Argan oil does not clog the pores and enlarge them. Clogged pores are the main cause for pimples, blemishes, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone, blackheads, whiteheads and acne scarring. The thin consistency of the argan oil makes it a perfect contender for facial massage or moisturiser. Argan oil exfoliates the skin, gets rid of the dead skin cells and doesn’t let dirt accumulate inside the pores.
6. Regulates Collagen
Massaging argan oil into the face upwards not only improves elasticity but it also regulates the production of collagen. Collagen is a structural protein which is abundantly produced in human. This protein is responsible for young and tight-looking skin. It maintains the elasticity of the skin and makes it supple.
7. Delays Ageing
Massaging argan oil upwards into the skin delays signs of ageing. The oil has anti-ageing ingredients such as carotenes, protein, Vitamin E and linoleic acids which lift the elasticity of the skin and smooth out the wrinkles around the eyes. It reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone, wrinkles, crow’s feet and fine lines. It also improves the elasticity and tightens the skin around the jawline.
8. Protects Skin
The thin consistency of the argan oil makes it a protectant against the harmful rays that emit from the sun. It acts as a natural sunscreen and prevents skin cells from further damage. It repairs and heals skin cells damaged from the extreme sun rays and heat. It creates a layer of barricade between the skin cells and the external environment.
9. Prevents Skin Inflammation
Argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties which soothe and calms irritated skin. The oil is enriched with vitamin E, carotenoids and tocopherols which nourish the skin and repair it from any form of damage. The prevents inflammation, redness, swelling and skin allergies.
10. Tones Skin
An uneven skin tone can make the face look dull and under the weather. Argan oil has the perfect consistency and components which works on evening out the skin tone. It fights against hyperpigmentation and dark spots. It reduces tan and brings back the natural complexion of the skin. It makes the skin look more even and smooth.
11. Removes Makeup
Argan oil can be used as a makeup remover. Oils make the best makeup remover because of their consistency and ability to absorb makeup from the face. All you have to do is dab a few drops of argan oil on the face and massage it lightly. Clean the oil off using a cotton pad. The makeup on the face will stick to the cotton pad in the process of wiping it off the face.
How To Use Argan Oil For Face?
There are several ways to use argan oil on the face:
1. You can use argan oil as a moisturiser. First, wash your face using a mild cleanser or a gentle face wash. Then apply toner before finishing off with moisturising the face using argan oil. Dab 4-6 drops of the argan on the face and massage it upwards to improve the elasticity of the skin. The oil thin, hence, it quickly gets absorbed into the skin. It leaves no greasy residue behind.
2. You can use argan oil in a face pack. Add a few drops of argan oil to honey and egg yolk. Apply the mixture to the face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. The face mask will add glow and moisture to the face. Wash the face mask using room temperature water.
3. You can use argan oil in oil blends. Add a few drops of argan oil to your favourite combination of oil blends (example: jojoba oil, grapeseed oil and argan oil). Massage the oil blend into the face in the upward direction to tighten the skin pores. This regulates the production of collagen and improves elasticity.
4. You can add argan oil to your homemade scrubs and serums. Argan oil can be left on the face overnight so that the damaged skin cells can repair themselves. It can be applied under the eyes to delay the onset of wrinkles and fine lines.
5. You can use argan oil as a makeup remover and also as a primer. Apply 4-6 drops of the oil on the face before adding a layer of makeup. This gives an extra touch of glow and intensity to the makeup.
How To Choose Best Argan Oil?
You can choose the best argan oil by checking on some factors – reputable brand, availability, place of production and date of manufacturing. The best argan oil comes from the argan trees in Morocco. It should be organically harvested and manufacturing. It should not include any harsh chemicals, diluted ingredients and preservatives. It should be pure, undiluted and unadulterated. The brand should list the date of manufacturing and directions to use it clearly.