Last Updated on by
What is Hemp Seed Oil?
Hemp seed oil (also called hemp oil) comes from the seeds of the hemp plant. Apart from making oil, the hemp plant has been traditionally used to make ropes, clothes, food, paper, textiles, insulation, etc., for centuries. Hemp seed oil is different from CBD oil. Hemp seed oil is also different from marijuana which is known for its psychoactive and intoxicating properties. Hemp seed oil doesn’t have any intoxicating properties and is rather popular throughout the world as a nutritious oil with several benefits for skin and hair beauty.
Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for Skin
Hemp oil has the reputation of being a great source of nutrients. It has a long history of being a natural remedy for various diseases, infections and allergies. It is rich in fatty acids like Omega-3 and 6, which are very essential as our body, as the body doesn’t produce them on its own. Hemp oil is very effective with skin related problems. Here are a few benefits of Hemp oil for the same.
1. Heals Eczema
- Hemp seed oil soothes itchy, scaly, dry and painful eczema patches on the skin. (If you’re suffering from eczema do also check these home remedies to relieve eczema).
- Mix 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil in ¼ cup of hemp seed oil.
- Store it in an airtight glass bottle.
- Apply this mix onto the affected areas up to twice a day to relieve eczema.
2. Softens Rough Patches
- Hemp seed oil has a very similar composition to sebum, the oily secretion from the sebaceous glands, making the former an excellent emollient.
- It is rich in fatty acids that helps retain moisture in the skin, thereby softening the rough and dehydrated patches of the skin.
- You can use hemp seed oil for making your elbows, heels, and knees among other body parts, soft and supple.
- If your skin is particularly extra dry, you can mix hemp oil with shea butter to make a nourishing and effective skin lotion.
- Check out a list of effective home remedies if you’re suffering from skin rashes.
3. Treats Skin Rashes and Acne
- One of the most well-known benefits of hemp seed oil for skin is the fact that it can be used to heal acne prone skin
- If you have allergies towards other carrier oils such as jojoba, grapeseed or coconut oil, you must try out hemp seed oil.
- It contains astringent properties that balance sebum production on your skin, thereby controlling oiliness and acne breakouts. With a few tips, acne and pimples can be avoided.
- Hemp seed oil can also be consumed internally, which helps regulate hormones, thereby bringing an end to acne, blemishes, and rashes caused by hormonal imbalance.
4. Treats Atopic Dermatitis
- The rich presence of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids in hemp seed oil help alleviate and soothe atopic dermatitis.
- Common symptoms of dermatitis like itchiness and dryness have been found to improve considerably after using hemp seed oil regularly.
5. Skin Calming
- Hemp seed oil is particularly well known for its anti-inflammatory and moisturising properties that profoundly help soothe & heal itchy skin as well as dry and inflamed skin.
6. Effective Moisturizer
- Hemp seeds are particularly unique because they do not clog pores at all, making it a great moisturizer for both acne-prone and oily skin types.
- Additionally, its fatty acid content creates a protective barrier over the skin, preventing further moisture loss.
7. Prevents and Improves Psoriasis
- Psoriasis is directly linked to a deficiency of Omega 6 fatty acids in the body. Psoriasis can be treated effectively and naturally.
- Including hemp seed oil to your diet will help enrich the body with the fatty acids and fight inflammation-related skin conditions like psoriasis.
- Topical application of hemp seed oil can also be used to moisturizing and calm itchy psoriasis patches.
8. Tightens & Shrinks Large Pores
- Due to its light and thin consistency, hemp seed oil helps tighten, tone and firm skin.
- It contains astringent properties that help minimise large pores that secrete excess sebum. Due to the size of the pores and the subsequent secretion of the sebaceous glands, skin experiences greasiness, blackheads, and pimples outbreaks.
- If you happen to have large pores, using hemp seed helps to shrink and tighten them.
9. Facial Cleanser
- Hemp seed oil is very effective in deep cleansing your skin. It effectively dissolves excess sebum generated on your face, drives out grime, dirt and pollutant from deep within the pores.
- To cleanse your face, you can massage one teaspoon of hemp seed oil on your face for a minute.
- In hot water, soak a micro-fiber washcloth for a few minutes. Wring it and dab it gently on your face.
- Repeat this procedure three more times and then finally use the same cloth to wipe off the excess oil.
- You can follow this procedure on a daily basis for the best results.
10. Reduces the Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- The Hemp seed oil is a very powerful anti-ageing natural ingredient for a smooth and wrinkles free skin. This is because it is rich in antioxidants.
- The oil helps improve the skin’s overall elasticity and water retention, thereby keeping the skin youthful and supple.
- It is effective in firming, tightening and toning properties that help prevent sagging skin.
- Check here to know more about how to remove wrinkles using home remedies & DIY tips
11. Plumps Tired, Dry Skin
- It is an effective moisturising agent, thus rejuvenating the skin, giving it a very youthful look and feel.
12. Suitable For All Skin Types
- Be it oily or dry skin, hemp seed oil helps lock in just the right amount of moisture and soothes any skin type.
13. Balance Oily Skin
- Due to its light and thin consistency, hemp seed oil is also a dry oil which makes it a good moisturizer for greasy and oily skin. (here are some other tips to avoid oily skin)
- It contains astringent properties that help control excess sebum production.
- Rub two drops of hemp seed oil between your palms and apply on your clean skin.
Methods of Using Hemp Oil
- Applying hemp oil directly on your skin can work if you have immediate irritation or dry patches of skin that you want to soothe quickly.
- Patch test: Test out the oil on a small patch of your skin to check for any allergies or sensitivity, before using it fully. If any sort of burning, redness, itching or other irritation occurs, you can assume that you are sensitive to the oil and avoid further usage. On the other hand, if you don’t see and feel any reaction, the oil is safe to use.
- If you are using the oil to treat acne, apply hemp seed oil topically and leave it on for about 2 minutes before washing it away with warm water.
- You can also combine hemp oil with other ingredients to enhance its powers. Check out hemp oil recipes from reputed sources for your skin goals or issues.
- Taking hemp seed oil orally is another way to use its benefits.
- Do check for any allergies or sensitivity you may have against hemp oil before using. If unsure, consult your doctor before ingesting hemp oil. If your stomach is sensitive to hemp seed oil you may have upset bowel movements from consuming hemp seed oil.
- It is advisable to consult your doctor before ingesting hemp seed oil.
- You can have up to 2 teaspoons of this oil on a daily basis. Needless to say, like everything else, excess consumption is bad.
- In case you don’t like the taste of hemp oil, you can also use it in different recipes. It can easily be mixed into food like smoothies, salad dressings or soup.
Why To Use Hemp Oil for Skin?
Here are a few reasons why Hemp seed oil is very effective for skin.
1. To Moisturize the Face
The fatty content found in hemp seed oil is similar to that found in the skin. This makes it a natural and effective moisturizer for the skin. It increases the elasticity of the skin and hydrates it well.
How to Moisturise the Face
- Wet your face with warm water
- Add a few drops of hemp seed oil in your palms.
- Rub it between your hands and apply it all over your face.
- Use more, if need be.
2. To Use As A Supplement
Apart from being rich in Vitamins A and E, Hemp seed oil also contains trace amounts of important minerals like iron, zinc, phosphorous, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Ingesting this oil helps improve both cardiovascular health and skin’s health. Additionally, hemp oil is packed with antioxidants. Since antioxidants are known to prevent or slow down cell damage, hemp seed oil has its anti-ageing effects.
Hemp Oil as a Supplement
- Whisk 1 cup hemp oil and ¼ cup of vinegar together.
- Pour it over herbs and spices in an airtight glass container.
- Refrigerate it overnight before use.
- It can be taken as a supplement or applied topically on the skin.
3. To Clean Face
Hemp oil is extensively used in lotions, shampoos, sunscreens, conditions and other cosmetic productions related to skin care. Due to its effective moisturizing and cleansing properties, hemp oil is an important ingredient in makeup removers.
How to Clean the Face
- Make sure you hand is clean first.
- Now add one teaspoon of oil on your fingers and gently massage your face.
- Soak a washcloth in lukewarm water, wring it and lay it over your face for one or two minutes.
- Using another warm washcloth, lightly pat off the oil (and makeup) off your face.
4. To Control Acne
Hemp seed oil is known to reduce redness and irritation caused by acne. It also keeps skin healthy and hydrated, and keeps pores open which helps prevent acne.
How to Control Acne Outbreaks on the Face
- Apply hemp oil directly to the affected areas on the skin.
- You can rinse of off in an hour, or leave it on overnight for best results.
- It is best to follow this procedure on a daily basis to experience significant improvement.
Are There Any Precautions or Side Effects of Using Hemp Oil?
Hemp seed oil is very safe for most people to use. But here are a few precautions or side effects you need to know about before you use hemp oil as a treatment for your skin.
- When used topically, there is a chance that some people may experience mild irritation. So, it is always advisable to patch test first, before routine usage.
- The upsetting of the stomach is the most common side effect that can occur from oral consumption, due to the oily and fatty nature of the oil. To prevent this, begin with smaller amounts and increase it over time to the recommended amount.
- It is best you consult your doctor before you start using hemp seed oil treatment.
Also read: Skin Peeling on Face – Causes and Remedies