In this busy day to day life, we sometimes lose control over our emotions and curb towards anxiety. In the past, there was no proper awareness given about depression and anxiety but as our society progresses people are getting more educated about this illness. Early stage depression can be cured using therapy, meditation and some healthy lifestyle changes. But major depression disorders need medications to be cured. And these medications have serious side effects such as nausea, increased appetite, weight gain, loss of sexual desire, fatigue and drowsiness, insomnia, dry mouth, blurred vision and constipation. To avoid such side effects many people turn towards other natural alternatives such as essential oils for severe depression.
How Essential Oils Help With Depression?
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts. They have many medical benefits and helps to improve sleep, reduce anxiety, enhance mood and improve quality of life. These properties of essential oils help in addressing the symptoms of depression. The emotions and the sense of smell of humans are strongly connected. And often people who lose their sense of smell usually develop depression. With the help of these anti-depression essential oils, you can reduce the symptoms of depression and get a peaceful sleep.
10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Depression
Mentioned below is the answer to your question ‚Äúwhat essential oils are good for depression?‚Äù. These oil helps in getting rid of your anxiety and help you to focus better and live a better life. Read on to know the benefits, how to use and side effects of these essential oils.
1. Cedar Wood Essential Oil
Cedarwood essential oil has an earthy and woody smell like that of a rainy day in a forest. The oil is copper or yellow in colour. Cedarwood essential oil blends well with Benzoin, Cypress, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Juniper, Jasmine, Lime, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary and Neroli.
Benefit Of Cedar Wood Oil
- Improve inflammatory skin conditions
- improved focus
- helps with menstruation regulation
- Calming and soothing effect on mind
- Encourage better sleep
- Good mood stabilizer
How To Use
- Dilute a few drops of cedarwood oil in warm water with the help of a diffuser.
- Make the person inhale the aroma.
- This will help to set the mood for a good night sleep.
- As this oil is very strong it can cause damage to the digestive system.
- Or cause nausea and vomiting
- Excessive thirst
2. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage oil has a sweet nutty Aroma. It is pale yellow-green in colour. Clary sage oil blends well with florals like geranium oil, lavender oil, jasmine oil and neroli oil, lemon oil, bergamot oil, and other citrus oils, as well as wood oils such as sandalwood oil, cedarwood oil, and frankincense oil.
Benefits Of Using Clary Sage Oil
- Stress reduction
- Reduce menstrual cramps
- It is a natural antidepressant
- Kill bacteria causing acne
How To Use
- Mix few drops of clary sage oil with 2-3 drops of jasmine oil to your bath.
- Taking a relaxing bath in this oil infused bath will help you to calm your scenes and feel relaxed.
- Clary sage oil is usually safe to use and consume.
- It is best to avoid during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
3. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil has a fresh and clean smell. It has an earthy aroma with warm, fruity and spicy undertones. The oil is pale golden in colour. Frankincense oil blends well with many other essential oils such as sandalwood, lemongrass, peppermint, orange, lavender, cedarwood oil etc. Frankincense oil reduces the level of inflammation and relieves pain in the joints.
Benefits Of Using Frankincense Oil
- Act as a sleep aid
- Improve memory
- Helps in balancing hormones
- Reduce stress and negative emotions
How To Use
- Rub 2-3 drops of frankincense oil on your eyebrows whenever you feel stressed.
- If you have sensitive skin then dilute it with a carrier oil.
- This will help to immediately reduce agitation and feel calm.
- Potential side effects include some skin irritation.
- Safety of use during pregnancy and lactation are unknown at this time.
- Rashes on sensitive skin
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Stomach pain
- Hyperacidity and nausea
4. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium has a rosy- floral sweet aroma which can be described as feminine smell. It has clear to pale yellow/green colour. Geranium Essential Oil blends especially well with essential oils in the citrus, floral, wood and mint families.
Benefits Of Geranium Oil
- Solve Female reproduction disorder
- Cure fatigue, depression, and emotional crisis.
- Heal bruises, acne, and wounds
How To Use
- Diffuse a few drops of geranium oil with warm water in a diffuser.
- This will provide relief for anxiety and uplift your mood.
- Might Develop a rash or
- The burning sensation for sensitive skin type
- Cause eye irritation when applied to the face
5. Lavender Essential Oil
Good quality lavender oil has a sweet, floral, and woody smell. It is pale yellow in colour. Lavender oil blends well with Rose, Geranium, frankincense, Pine, Lemon, Tangerine, Patchouli, Bergamot, Sweet Orange, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Rosemary, Clary Sage, etc.
Benefits Of Lavender Oil
- Cure anxiety
- Improves sleep and brain function
- Heal Wounds
- Reduce acne
- Fight against inflammation
How To Use
- Mix 2-3 drops of lavender oil with coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture on your wrist or behind your ears.
- This will improve focus and clarity and get rid of depressive thoughts.
- Can cause headache
- Lead to constipation
- Increased appetite
- Can cause skin irritation when used topically.
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil has a sharp, fresh and menthol aroma. It is clear to pale yellow in colour. Peppermint oil blends well with Oregano, Marjoram, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary, and Tea Tree essential oils.
Benefits Of Using Peppermint Oil
- Help Relieve Tension
- Headaches¬†and Migraines
- Freshen Your Breath
- Relieve Clogged Sinuses
- Improve Your Sleep
- Help reduce inflammation
How To Use
- Diffuse 2-3 drops of peppermint oil with water in a diffuser.
- This will help to reduce sadness and relieve tension.
- allergic reactions
- Burning mouth syndrome
- diarrhoea with anal burning
- Flushing and headache
7. Lemon Essential Oil
It has a strong citric aroma and is mostly clear in colour but can have a green undertone of it is made from green lemons. It is mostly used in aromatherapy. It is made from lemon peel and has many health benefits. Lemon essential oil blends well with Eucalyptus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Ylang Ylang.
Benefits Of Using Lemon Oil
- Detoxify and rejuvenates the skin
- Improve focus
- Improve Cognitive ability
- Aid in treating depression
- Balance mood and prevent emotional reactions
How To Use
- Add a few drops of lemon oil in a room diffuser.
- Allow the aroma to fill up your room.
- Inhale the citric fragrance to feel relaxed and improve focus.
- Can result is rashes and irritation when applied to sensitive skin.
- When used in high doses, can cause dizziness, vomiting, seizures and other problems.
8. Orange Essential Oil
Orange oil has a pale orange-yellow colour. And it has a sweet, citrus and cheerful aroma. Orange essential oil blends well with essential oils of cinnamon, cloves, frankincense, ginger, black pepper, sandalwood, and vetiver.
Benefits Of Orange Oil
- Anti-inflammatory properties help treat arthritis
- Kills germs and bacteria
- Boost immune system
How To Use
- Inhale orange oil directly from the bottle.
- This will help to elevate the mood and give an instant energy boost.
- Orange oil doesn't have any major side effects.
- It may cause skin irritation, so do a skin patch test before using the oil.
- Is pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor first.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil has a clear refreshing and herbal aroma which makes one's heart feel lighter and refreshed. It is clear in colour. Rosemary essential oil blends well with basil, sage, thyme, chamomile, lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, citronella, frankincense, and eucalyptus essential oil.
Benefits Of Using Rosemary Essential Oil
- Get rid of bad breath
- Acne oil treatment
- Natural deodorant
- Ease stress
- Improve cognition and concentration
- Improve brain function
How To Use
- Dilute 5-10 drops of rosemary oil with warm water using a diffuser.
- Inhale the refreshing smell to ease stress and improve concentration.
Side EffectsConsuming undiluted rosemary oil can cause
- uterine bleeding,
- kidney irritation,
- increased sun sensitivity,
- skin redness, and allergic reactions.
10. Vetiver Essential Oil
Vetiver oil has a rich woody and earthy aroma. While the colour ranges from golden-brown to amber-brown to olive. Vetiver oil blends well with ylang-ylang, cedarwood, tangerine, lemon and other citrus scents (lime, grapefruit), jasmine, lavender, patchouli, petitgrain.
Benefits Of Vetiver Oil
- Soothing effect
- relaxation of muscles
- Reduce aches and stiffness
- boost circulation
- promote restful sleep
How To Use
- Dilute 4-5 drops of vetiver oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on the base of your neck or behind your ears.
- It will help can nerve and increase focus.
- Vetiver oil is safe to use and doesn‚Äôt have any known side effects.
- It is however recommended for pregnant and lactating women to avoid using it.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.