What are Open Pores?
Open or enlarged skin pores are one of the most common concerns amongst many as it can make your skin appear saggy, dull and lead to skin complications like acne and blackheads. All of us want a healthy, glowing and youthful skin but no matter how sharp our features are, these open pores will be a reason for worry. Factors such as genetics, harsh makeup, lack of a healthy skin care routine, etc. can contribute to the formation of enlarged pores especially in the T-zone of your face. Although it isn’t a harmful disorder, there are various easy home remedies to naturally shrink pores and close open pores on face permanently.
What Causes Open Pores?
- Extreme sun exposure
- Skin ageing
- Poor diet and consumption of unhealthy junk food
- Hormonal imbalance
How To Close Pores On Face Naturally?
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the most effective home remedies for open pores as it eliminates oil and dirt from your skin, unclogging blocked pores and shrinking their sizes.
- Take a generous amount of fresh aloe vera gel and gently massage it onto your open pores for a few minutes.
- Wash your skin with cool water after 10 minutes.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar possesses astringent properties that are known to even out skin tone, tightens your skin and permanently remove pores from the face.
- Take equal proportions of apple cider vinegar and water and mix them well.
- Add more water in case you have sensitive skin.
- Apply this diluted vinegar solution on your pores using a cotton ball.
- Leave it to naturally dry.
Curd contains lactic acid that is useful in getting rid of dirt, impurities, oil and dead skin cells from your skin. This leads to unclogging of skin pores, making your skin appear radiant and youthful.
- Take 2 tablespoons of plain curd and apply it to your open pores.
- Allow it to rest for around 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil acts as a great toner and can effectively fill pores on your face permanently. It also has antimicrobial properties that can treat acne, inflammation and other skin infections.
- Add 3 to 4 drops tea tree oil to a cup of water and mix well.
- Transfer the solution to a spray bottle and refrigerate it.
- Once the solution turns cold, shake well and liberally spray it all over your face.
- Let it naturally dry.
5. Papaya Mask
Papaya is often used for open pores treatment at home as it can help to shrink large pores, making your skin appear youthful, smooth and soft. Papaya can also purify your skin and helps to tighten your loose skin.
- Take a few pieces of ripe papaya and mash them to form a paste.
- Apply it onto the affected areas of your skin to shrink pores.
- Wash off with water after 20 minutes.
6. Egg White Mask
Large open skin pores are often triggered by oily skin. Egg whites not only cleanses your skin, eliminating the buildup of excess oil and impurities but also tones and lighten your skin.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and lemon juice each to an egg white and mix together to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your open pores and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse properly with cool water.
- Alternatively, you can also whisk an egg white and apply it on your face.
- Wash off with water once it is dry.
7. Multani Mitti
Multani Mitti or fuller’s earth helps to balance the oil level of your skin and reduces pores on face. It gives you a clear radiant skin, free from blemishes and uneven skin pigmentation. It is also an excellent natural ingredient to get rid of pimples.
- Prepare a fine paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of Multani Mitti with 1 to 2 tablespoons of rose water or milk.
- Smear a thin layer of the paste on the enlarged pores of your skin and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash with cool water.
Lemon juice acts as a natural cleanser and contains astringent properties that work well to unclog pores. The presence of citric acid exfoliates your skin, breaking the impurity’s chemical bond with the skin. It is also effective in eliminating blackheads and whiteheads.
- Combine equal proportions of lemon juice and water and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and dab it onto your face.
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash with normal water.
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants and natural acids that balance your skin’s oil content and gets rid of pores on face. This natural astringent prevents premature ageing of the skin and helps to repair damage skin cells.
- Extract the pulp of a small tomato and add honey to it.
- Mix well and apply it to areas of your skin with open pores.
- Rinse with water after 10 to 12 minutes.
Raw honey improves the health of your skin, making it appear youthful, soft and glowing. It shrinks large open pores and prevents sagginess of skin and at the same times deeply moisturizes your skin.
- Take an appropriate amount of raw honey and apply it on your face and neck area.
- Allow it to rest for 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Wash again with cool water.
11. Olive Oil
The antioxidant characteristics of olive oil along with its healing properties help in the process of cell regeneration. It treats various skin problems like swelling, dryness, open pores and irritation.
- Take few drops of extra virgin olive oil and gently massage it on the open pores of your skin in a circular motion for a couple of minutes.
- Wash off the oil with lukewarm water.
Banana peels contain vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants that helps to remove warts, making your skin smooth, soft and vibrant. This effective home remedies for open pores is also known to treat skin pigmentation and acne marks.
- Take a banana peel and swipe the inside of the peel onto the concerned areas of your skin.
- Allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse with normal water.
13. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes are perhaps the most inexpensive and simple option for open pores treatment at home. It is effective in minimizing enlarged pores especially before applying makeup. Ice cubes soothe swelling on the skin and make your skin feel calm and relaxed.
- Take a clean washcloth and wrap some ice cubes in it.
- Apply this pack on your face, holding it for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat it for few more times until you notice an improvement.
- You can also wash your face with ice cold water once a day to remove pores from the face.
14. Besan Mask
Besan or chickpea flour is a perfect ingredient to close open pores on face permanently. It naturally cleanses and exfoliates your skin and can be added to various face packs. Using a besan pack will purify and rejuvenate your skin.
- Prepare a besan mask by mixing 1 tablespoon besan, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon yogurt and few drops of olive oil together.
- Apply the smooth paste over your open pores and let it sit for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Wash with cool water and use a moisturizer.
15. Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrub is an easy DIY remedy for open pores as it can be used as a part of your daily skin care routine to eliminate dead skin cells.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to form a coarse mixture.
- Gently massage the homemade scrub on your skin for a couple of minutes before the sugar starts to melt.
- Wash off with warm water.
Ways To Prevent Open Pores
Cleaning your skin is the first step towards preventing open pores. Make sure to wash your face twice a day with an oil-free natural cleansing facewash that is not too harsh on your skin. Try to use herbal products that are free from alcohol or acid as they can further damage your skin.
2. Regular Exfoliate
Make a habit of regularly exfoliating your skin with any gentle scrub to avoid build-up of dead skin cells. This will also help to eliminate dirt, impurities, blackheads and whiteheads that may block your skin and clog your pores. You can make your own natural scrub using simple ingredients to steer clear of chemical products.
3. Drink Plenty Of Water
Drinking adequate water will improve the overall health of your skin and won’t let your skin feel dry or dehydrated. Consuming plenty of water will internally clean and purify your skin, removing toxins and waste products from the body. It provides nutrients to the skin tissues, increases its elasticity and delays signs of ageing such as wrinkles and fine lines.
4. Regular Use Of Face Mask
Our contemporary lifestyle doesn’t always permit us to visit a saloon and pamper our skin. Hence, face masks are the simple, easy and convenient replacement that will rejuvenate your skin and make it appear radiant and youthful. You can opt for either a commercial face mask or homemade face packs. Even if you can’t apply a face mask on a daily basis, make sure to use one on every alternate day or at least twice a week to detoxify your skin.
5. Eat Healthy Diet
The appearance and overall condition of your skin greatly depend on your regular diet. Maintaining a balanced diet will not only keep you fit but make your skin healthy as well. Try to include food that contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E as these are excellent for your skin. Intake of junk foods that have high oil content can contribute to acne, rashes and over secretion of sebum.
No matter what your skin type is, moisturising your skin is a must. It is recommended to use a heavy moisturizer if you have a dry skin and in case of oily skin, opt for a water-based light moisturizer. You can also select a natural moisturizer like aloe vera gel extract, coconut oil, honey, etc. to pamper your skin with proper nourishment. Always remember to apply the moisturiser on a clean skin, preferably after washing your face with a cleanser.
7. Use Steam
Stream won’t necessarily clean out your pores, rather the warm vapour will soften the top layer of your skin and help to open clogged pores when you wash your face. Using steam will allow products to penetrate deep within your skin so that they can work more effectively. Do not steam your face more than 10-15 minutes and check the heat before applying the steam on your face.
8. Use Sunscreen
Prolong sun exposure without any preventive measure is a strict no-no. Harmful UV rays are known to damage skin cells and can also lead to sunburn. This will further cause various skin concerns like swelling, blisters, pigmentation, clogged pores and skin irritation. Using a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or more is mandatory whenever you step out of your house so that it can protect your skin. Also, reapplying the sunscreen is suggested if you are prone to sweating or you have to stay under direct sunrays for a long period of time.
9. Don't Squeeze Blackheads
Blackheads are annoying and you are often tempted to squeeze them out! However, applying such pressure to squeeze out the blackhead can stretch your pores and leave it permanently enlarged.
10. Remove Makeup Before Going To Bed
Makeup products contain chemicals, artificial colours and preservatives that cause extensive damage to your skin if not removed before going to bed. Your skin revives and heals itself while you are asleep and leaving your makeup on will hinder the process. This will lead to unclogged skin pores and trigger acne, breakouts and rashes. Hence, make sure to get rid of any makeup residue before you go off to sleep at night so that your skin can breathe and feel revitalized in the morning.
- Works on ACNE, SCARS & PIGMENTATION due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Application in treating SKIN, NAIL & TOE INFECTIONS
- Great for HAIR. Fights against DANDRUFF with its antifungal properties
- Diffuse for fresh & CLEAN HOME
Author Name: Shreoshi Mitra
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.