We all are very familiar with cloves that are found in our kitchens. Cloves have a hot and strong flavour that adds characteristic strong aromatic flavours to the food. Apart from enhancing taste, clove is also an important ingredient for making various home remedies.
Benefits of Clove for Skin
Clove is found to be very beneficial for skin and various skin problems encountered by us in our daily lives. Sometimes clove is used in the form of an oil. There are many benefits of clove oil which is extracted from clove buds. They are very concentrated in nature and hence should be used after dilution. Clove oil skin irritation occurs due to the concentrated nature of clove oil which can also cause burns. Thus, clove oil should be used with care and should not be applied near eyes as it can lead to a burning sensation.
Some of the benefits of clove for skin is mentioned as follows:
1. For Treatment of Acne and Pimples
Clove has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Because of these properties, it helps in the treatment of acne and pimples. Remember, clove oil is very strong and can cause a burn if used in undiluted form. So dilute it with another carrier oil to make the best of its benefits.
Procedure for the Treatment of Acne
- Mix one teaspoon of clove oil with honey and apply it on the acne area.
- Be careful while applying it near the eye region.
- Once it dries wash it off with cold water.
- Apply this solution twice a day until acne disappears.
2. To Fight Yeast Infections
Clove oil also helps in the treatment of yeast infections. It is found that rinsing the affected region with diluted clove oil helps in fighting yeast infections. Clove oil should be diluted as it may be harsh on the skin in its concentrated form. It is also found that the application of clove oil diluted with coconut oil in the mouth it helps in fighting oral yeast infections. Care should be taken while applying in the mouth as should not be ingested.
Ingestion of undiluted and large quantity of clove oil is hazardous to health.
3. For Treatment of Acne Scars
Sometimes acne leaves behind scars. Apart from the treatment of acne and pimples, clove also helps in the treatment of acne scars.
Procedure for the Treatment of Acne Scars
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with 2 to 3 drops of clove oil.
- Apply it on the acne scars and keep it overnight.
- Be careful while applying it near the eye region.
- Rinse your face in the morning.
- Do this procedure daily to not only reduce acne scars but also to prevent acne.
4. As an Antiseptic
Because of its antiseptic properties, clove oil is very useful and its diluted form can be used in place of an antiseptic to heal insect bites, wounds, cut, and scratches etc. In case you are running out of an antiseptic solution, clove oil can successfully replace it. Clove oil for skin rashes is another antiseptic benefit.
5. Anti-Ageing Benefits
Since clove is a highly potent antioxidant, it helps in maintaining the collagen level of the skin which prevents premature ageing and is one of the major benefits of clove oil for skincare. It also shows anti-inflammatory properties and thus supplementing anti-ageing benefits. One method of incorporating cloves for making face masks having anti-ageing benefits is given below:
Clove Oil with Coconut Oil
Combination of clove oil and coconut oil not only helps in fighting acne scars but also has anti-ageing benefits.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 3 to 4 drops of clove oil.
- Wash your face with a mild face wash or soap.
- Apply it on your face and keep t for about 30 minutes.
- Later wash it off with cold water.
6. As Hair Conditioner
Clove is also a very good hair conditioner which is made naturally without incorporating any external chemicals that may be harmful. Clove hair conditioner can be made as follows:
- Mix two teaspoons of clove powder with half a cup of olive oil.
- Mix it thoroughly and apply it on your hair.
- Rinse it off after 10 to 15 minutes.
7. To Fight Hair Loss
Clove oil is a very important essential oil which helps in the natural treatment of hair loss. It strengthens the hair follicles and helps us to relax and reduce stress which is another reason for hair loss. You can either apply 3 to 4 drops of clove oil diluted in a teaspoon of your favourite carrier oil directly on the scalp before washing your hair or can keep it overnight when applied along with coconut oil or any other oil like olive oil, almond oil etc.
By preventing hair loss, it promotes hair growth and helps to increase hair volume.
8. Treating Dandruff
Clove oil also helps in the removal of dandruff from hair. Dandruff can be removed by incorporating 10 to 12 drops of clove oil in your shampoo while washing your hair. Any oil can also be mixed with the solution for added benefits.
9. Removal of Dark Circles Near the Eyes
Dark circles are formed near the eyes because of lack of sleep, dehydration, fatigue, ageing, stress etc. Clove oil has anti-inflammatory properties and increases blood circulation thereby helping in the removal of dark circles near the eyes.
- Mix 2 drops of clove oil with 7 drops of frankincense oil and lemon juice each and at the end add Vitamin E oil.
- Store it in a bottle and apply it every night before sleeping.
10. Getting Rid of Warts and Skin Tags
It is one of the many important application of clove and clove oil. It helps in getting rid of warts and skin tags without any painful surgery. Apply a drop of clove oil (undiluted) on your wart or skin tag. Since clove oil is concentrated it shrivels up the skin growth when it dries and thus it helps in the removal of warts and skin tags over time. Repeat this process daily till the wart or skin tag goes away. Since undiluted clove oil is really strong, discontinue this usage if you feel discomfort or dilute it with a suitable carrier oil before using or check with your doctor about other alternative methods to remove warts and skin tags.
Benefits of Clove for Teeth
It can be noticed that many kinds of toothpaste have clove as their ingredient. It is because clove has antibacterial properties that promote oral healthcare. Clove is being used to treat oral problems since ancient times. Some of the benefits of laung for teeth that promote dental care are given below:
1. To Get Rid of Bad Breath
Since clove has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties it is very useful for getting rid of bad breath. Bad breath is caused by bacteria present in our mouth either because of lack of dental hygiene or because of the food that we consume. Also, persistent bad breath can also be a sign indicating gum diseases which are caused by the bacteria present in our mouth. The process of making a homemade mouthwash with cloves is given below:
- Boil a cup of water in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of cloves and cinnamon each and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and strain the solution and store it in a bottle.
- Add 4 drops of peppermint essential oil to the solution.
- Now the solution is ready to be used as a mouthwash.
2. As Tooth Pain Reliever
Clove for a toothache is being used since ancient times. This is because it is found to have anaesthetic and pain-relieving properties that are carried by Eugenol present in cloves. There are many benefits of chewing cloves for teeth and one of them is to get relief from a toothache. Clove oil can also be applied to infected teeth. In case of toothache, apply a cotton swab dipped in 1-2 drops of clove oil. Be careful while applying concentrated clove oil since ingestion of clove oil is hazardous. Alternatively, you can add 1 drop to your toothpaste every day.
3. For Teeth Whitening
Excessive consumption of tea, coffee, wine, and smoking are some of the many reasons that stain our teeth and leads discolouration. Clove for teeth whitening is another one of its many applications. Clove mouthwash can lead to teeth whitening. Also, proper oral hygiene and regular brushing and flossing are very important for pearly white teeth.
4. To Prevent Cavity and Tooth Decay
High intake of processed food and improper dental hygiene leads to tooth decay causing cavities. Clove oil for tooth decay is its another application.
- Mix clove oil with sesame seed oil.
- Pour this mixture in a cotton ball with the help of which apply it on the tooth that has a cavity.
Apart from skin and hair care, cloves are also used to improve digestion and enhance weight loss. There are many benefits of clove tea as apart from digestion and weight loss, it also helps in relieving constipation, improves the immune system and prevents ulcers.
- Boil a cup of water and add partially ground cloves to the water.
- Let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes and strain it.
- Add sugar to taste.
Care should be taken with cloves. One should be cautious of the amount of clove ingested as it can affect your health and can cause serious allergies.
ANVEYA INDONESIAN CLOVE OIL 100% PURE, 15ML
- Widely used to relieve TOOTHACHE & BAD BREATH
- Use for skin care, especially to fight against ACNE
- Anti-aging effects by reducing the appearance of WRINKLES & SAGGING SKIN
- Hair health fights FUNGAL INFECTIONS
Written By - Mehdia Fatima
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.