Coconut oil is made using the kernel of mature Coconuts.
Do not get confused between coconut water and Coconut milk. Coconut water is found naturally in green coconuts while Coconut milk is prepared with coconut meat and is more than 50 % water. Coconut water is almost 94% water with thin consistency and contains less nutrients than coconut milk.
Rich in saturated fat content, coconut milk is loaded with taste and thick texture.
Nutritional Value Of Coconut Milk
- Coconut milk is 68% water, 24% fat, 6% carbohydrates along with 2% protein.
- 100-gram coconut milk contains 330 kilocalories.
- Coconut milk comprises of 21 grams of saturated fat, whose 50% is lauric acid.
- Coconut milk is abundant in manganese (44% of the daily value, DV).
- It also possesses an ample amount of phosphorus, iron and magnesium.
Coconut milk contains many health benefits along with its good taste and is used in several kitchen recipes.
Coconut milk is used in a variety of cosmetics. and beauty products as well. It is used as a remedy for good skin and hair for a long time. Here are some amazing facts about coconut milk that will do wonders for your skin, hair and health.
Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Skin
1. Moisturizes The Skin
Coconut milk has been used as a moisturizer since long ago. A milk bath is a common phenomenon for nourishing the skin. Applying coconut milk on the skin helps in reducing dryness and itching and provides a soft and glowing skin.
How To Use
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk, ½ cup rosewater and 1 cup rose petals to a bucket of warm water.
- Bathe with the water and do this often for more amazing results.
- You can also massage coconut milk directly on the skin for a few minutes, then leave it to get absorbed by the skin. It tackles the dryness and gives you a glowing and healthy skin.
2. Prevents Premature Ageing
Coconut milk contains Vitamin C which helps in maintaining elasticity and flexibility of skin making it more healthy and beautiful. It also helps in removing wrinkles and age spots giving you youthful skin.
How To Use
- Soak 6-7 almonds overnight and remove the peel of almonds.
- Mix 5-6 drops of coconut milk to it.
- Apply the paste on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Then rinse it with cold water.
- Repeat this often for better results.
3. Makeup Remover
Coconut milk can be easily used to remove makeup and nourish skin at the same time.
How To Use
- Mix olive oil and coconut milk in the ratio of 2:1.
- Apply the mixture gently on the face using a cotton pad.
- It is a great natural substitute for expensive chemical make-up removers.
4. Treats Sunburns
Coconut milk is very effective in treating sunburns. The fat and oil content present in coconut milk reduces redness and provides moisture to the skin. Applying coconut milk to the affected area reduces the pain and inflammation of the skin.
How To Use
- Apply a thin layer of Coconut milk on the affected area before going to bed.
- leave it overnight, it will heal the sunburns.
- Also, bathing with the coconut oil cures the sunburns and makes the skin healthy.
5. Treats Skin Ailments
Coconut helps in treating dry and damaged skin. It acts as a great moisturizer in conditions like eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.
The fatty acid content helps in removing oil and prevents pores from clogging, reducing acne from the face.
Also, the antibacterial properties of Coconut milk kill the bacteria causing acne.
How To Use
- Massage coconut milk directly on the face for a few minutes and leave it for the skin to absorb it.
- Use it often and it will reduce acne and heal dry skin leaving a glowing healthy skin.
Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Hair
1. Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Hair Growth
Coconut milk contains a wide range for nutrients that nourishes hair follicles and promote hair growth.
Massage coconut milk gently on your scalp and hair for a few minutes and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then wash the hair with usual shampoo.
2. Natural Conditioner
Coconut milk is a natural conditioner for hair and makes them smooth and silky. It also ensures the detangling of hair. You can either wash hair with an equal amount of Coconut milk and shampoo or can apply it as a leave-in conditioner. It will make your hair thicker and healthy.
3. Treats Dry And Damaged Hair
Coconut milk provides moisture and nourishment to hair. It treats dry and damaged hair, brings back their shine and also soothes the scalp. Massage the scalp and hair roots with coconut milk for 3-5 minutes and leave it for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash it with your usual shampoo. Apply this twice to thrice a week and you will notice the change positively in a month.
4. Boosts Hair Mask
You can add a few drops of coconut to your hair mask and it will work more efficiently. It will treat the damaged hair fast and will gift you long and beautiful hair.
5. Treats Hair Fall
- Mix coconut milk and lemon juice in a bowl and refrigerate it for 4 hours.
- Apply the solution on the scalp and hair and leave it on for 45 minutes.
- Use your regular shampoo for rinsing hair.
Apply this remedy once a week.
It will provide nourishment to the scalp and promote hair growth.
Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Health
1. Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Weight Loss
Consumption of coconut milk helps in long term weight loss. It contains medium-chain triglycerides(MCT) that are responsible for burning fat. MCT enhance fat digestion and decrease the level of adipose tissue. Also, as we are consuming fat in the form of coconut milk, it keeps our stomach full and helps to avoid overeating and food craving.
2. Improves Digestion And Relieves Constipation
Coconut milk contains a high amount of nutrients and electrolytes that help the food to move along the intestinal tract. Regular milk can cause lactose intolerance, therefore, consumption of coconut milk is considered healthy and helps in treating constipation.
3. Maintains Blood Sugar Level
Coconut milk is highly beneficial in the case of diabetes and has a positive effect on the body. The fat content present in coconut milk reduces the rate of sugar release in blood. It maintains insulin and regulates blood sugar levels treating diabetes. It is also preferred above sugar cause MCTs present in it increase energy level and therefore it is highly used in a variety of cuisines.
4. Improves Heart Health
Coconut milk is rich in fat and is still considered healthy for our bodies. Lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid, constitutes 50% of total fats present in the coconut milk, has a positive effect on lipid and cholesterol levels of the body. It is a protective type of fatty acid that supports health and is linked to positive cholesterol. Minerals present in coconut milk helps in blood circulation, controls blood flow and also regulates blood pressure.
5. Immune Strength
Coconut milk contains an ample amount of lauric acid which is converted into monolaurin by the body. It helps in fighting against bacteria and viruses that cause herpes and influenza. Coconut milk also possesses antimicrobial lipids and capric acid having anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Also, coconut milk contains a good amount of Vitamin C that helps in boosting immunity.
6. Bone Support
The benefits of drinking coconut milk every day includes strong bone health. Coconut milk contains an ample amount of Vitamin D and Calcium. Both of them help in strengthening bone and also enhances bone density and structure. Magnesium and phosphorus present in it also help in bone metabolism. It makes the bones strong and lowers the risk of arthritis, fractures and osteoporosis.
7. Prevents Anaemia
Anemia is a common disease caused due to deficiency of iron. One cup of Coconut milk everyday helps in curing anemia as it provides one-fourth of iron required every day. It is a good source of iron for vegetarians and also helps to reduce fatigue-related to Anaemia.
8. Has Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal And Anti-Viral Properties
The pure form of oil withdrawn from coconut milk contains MCTs and lauric acid. Due to this, it contains high anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Coconut oil also contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
9. Prevents Ulcers
If you are hurting from stomach ulcers, drinking coconut milk will be highly beneficial for you. It contains antibacterial and anti-ulcer properties which fight against ulcer-causing bacteria. Due to anti-inflammatory properties it is highly beneficial in treating ulcers. Consuming one glass of coconut milk every week is truly beneficial and healthy.
10. Calms Nerve Cells And Prevents Alzheimer’s Disease
Medium-chain triglycerides are present in coconut milk which are absorbed by the liver and get converted into ketones. Ketones are an alternative source of energy for the brain and also help people to cope with Alzheimer’s disease. It is also helpful in calming the nerve cells as it contains magnesium that is known to release tension and reduces stress.
11. Easily Used In Cooking
With a wonderful taste and various health benefits, coconut milk in cooking is highly preferred. It is used in preparing a variety of dishes and cuisines and most of the Thai food. Coconut milk is very beneficial and tasteful and can be consumed easily in combination with different ingredients.
12. Benefits During Pregnancy
Coconut milk is very healthy and beneficial for pregnant women, it provides various vitamins and minerals to the body. It strengthens immunity and also helps in the development of the foetus. Lauric acid in coconut milk increases breast milk and also lowers joint pain during pregnancy. It can be consumed easily and provides many benefits during pregnancy.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.