All of us want to have beautiful skin along with shiny and bouncy hair. When we talk about natural oil to enhance our beauty, we often look for Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil or Coconut Oil to nourish our skin and hair, but we tend to forget this simple and humble Castor Oil which is equally beneficial for your skin and your hair as well. Castor Oil- an ancient folk remedy which is well known for its medicinal and beauty benefits.
Let’s have a closer look at the benefits of this oil. In this article, we have everything you want to and need to know about Castor Oil.
What Is Castor Oil?
Castor Oil is a pale yellow coloured thick viscous oil which is obtained by pressing the castor beans (Ricinus communis) that is rich in antioxidants and widely used for medicinal, cosmetic purposes. Castor Oil is rich in triglycerides in which 90% of fatty acid chains are ricinoleates- an unsaturated Omega-9 fatty acid which is well known for its anti-inflammatory property. The therapeutic property of Castor Oil is because of the presence of oleic acid, linoleic acid, flavonoids, terpenoids etc. It has got a distinct smell.
Interesting Facts About Castor Oil
- Castor beans are also known as Ricinus communis and its name is derived from Ricinus meaning tick and communis meaning common. The plant is so named because its seeds look like a tick and it is commonly found in many parts of the world.
- Castor beans contain a toxic enzyme known as Ricin which however gets deactivated during the heating process of Castor Oil.
- In the olden days, it was known as Palma Christi, because its leaves resemble the hands of Christ.
- Egyptians used this oil to treat skin, eye, hair and headaches.
- Castor Oil is mainly used in Ayurvedic medicines because of its therapeutic value.
- Castor Oil helps in detoxification of your system by helping your body’s lymphatic system to flush out toxins from the body.
Castor Oil is well known for its medicinal and beauty benefits because it exhibits anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, hydrating, detoxifying and healing properties. We recommend adding Anveya's Jamaican Black Castor Oil, It is a one-stop solution to all your skin and hair problems.
ANVEYA JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL, COLD-PRESSED ORGANIC, 100ML
- Jamaican Black Castor oil is a popular and natural oil for HAIR HEALTH & GROWTH
- Antioxidant properties of Jamaican Black Castor Oil helps FIGHT THE SIGNS OF AGEING SKIN
- Omega-9-rich Jamaican Black Castor Oil is popular for BEARD GROWTH & CARE.
- PROMOTING THICKNESS, LENGTH & GROWTH of eyebrows & eyelashes
Castor Oil For Hair
Topical application of Castor Oil helps to moisture, nourish and replenish your scalp because of the presence of essential fatty acids. Castor Oil is rich in Vitamin E and Omega 6, 9 which make it beneficial for your hair and scalp. Regular massage with castor oil can make your hair healthy, shiny and bouncy. Black Jamaican Castor Oil is known to be the best oil for treating dry and damaged hair. Other hair benefits of Castor Oil:
1. Hydrates And Moisturizes
Castor Oil acts as a natural humectant and helps to retain moisture and natural oil in your strands. Castor Oil is rich in Omega-6, 9 fatty acids that help to nourish and replenish your hair.
2. Prevents Hair Fall
Castor Oil is rich in Vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant) and fatty acids which play a vital role in maintaining a healthy scalp and hair. Vitamin E protects the hair against the damage caused by free radicals, thus increasing its tensile strength and resilience of your hair. Thereby, preventing hair fall.
3. Helps To Balance The PH Level Of Your Scalp
Castor Oil is the storehouse of essential fatty acids which help to nourish your hair and scalp. It penetrates deeper into the layers of your scalp, thereby maintaining the pH balance of your scalp and increases the blood circulation which in turn ensures a dandruff-free scalp.
4. Exhibits Antifungal And Antibacterial Properties
Castor Oil is well known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Dry scalp condition can give rise to many hair problems such as hair fall, dandruff and in extreme cases gives rises to skin diseases like eczema. Hence, it is very important to maintain a healthy scalp. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Castor Oil help to fight any scalp infection, thus keeping your scalp healthy and well-nourished. Healthy scalp in turn makes your hair healthy.
5. Promotes Hair Growth
Topical application of Castor Oil on scalp ensures a healthy scalp and stimulates the hair follicles. It helps to increase the blood circulation and also nourishes your hair from root to tip, thus promoting the growth of hair and making your hair bounce with health. Regular application of castor oil along with coconut oil is known to eliminate the problem of split ends.
6. Tames Frizzy Hair
Castor Oil has emollient properties which help to make your hair smooth and soft. Its two main constituents - oleic and linoleic acid help to retain moisture and seal the nourishment in your locks and prevent any damage caused to your hair due to pollution, heat, stress and other external factors. It helps prevent dryness and adds lustre to your hair.
7. For Healthy Brows And Eyelashes
Ricinoleic acid, which constitutes almost 90% of the oil is known to be responsible for preventing hair loss and promoting the growth of hair. Applying a small amount of Castor Oil can help promote the growth of eyebrows and eyelashes. Make sure that you use organic Castor Oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil to get the desired result.
8. For Beard
Castor Oil along with any of your favourite facial oil ( Almond Oil or Coconut Oil) promotes the growth of beard. It promotes blood circulation and known to be the best oil for beard growth.
Also Read : Castor Oil for Beard - Uses, Benefits & more
This oil has so much to offer! It is a natural remedy to keep your scalp and hair healthy. Let’s see how you can reap the benefits of Castor Oil by using this simple DIY recipe.
DIY Recipe For Growth Of Hair
- 1 teaspoon of Castor Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Almond Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Vitamin E oil
- Mix all the above-mentioned ingredients in a clean bowl.
- Using a double boiler method you can warm this mixture.
- Massage this oil on to your scalp and hair. Let it rest for 1 hour.
- Wash it off with a herbal shampoo. Do this regularly to have a much thicker and denser hair.
Castor Oil For Skin
Castor Oil is rich in antioxidants which help to nourish and moisturize your skin. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties help to fight many skin problems and make your skin beautiful and vibrant. Let’s see how is Castor Oil beneficial for your skin:
1. Moisturizes Your Skin
Castor Oil is a natural humectant, thus has an ability to retain and seal moisture in your skin. The fatty acids present in Castor Oil penetrate into the layers of skin, thereby nourishing and replenishing the skin, which prevents skin dryness.
2. Prevents Signs Of Ageing
Castor Oil helps to boost the collagen production, thereby increasing the elasticity of your skin. The antioxidants present in Castor Oil help fight the free radicals responsible for causing wrinkles and fine lines. It penetrates deeper into the skin, making it soft and supple.
3. Treats Acne
Most of the cosmetics that you apply on your face often contain harmful chemicals which strip your skin off its natural oil and in order to compensate for the loss, the glands of your skin produce excess oil which often leads to acne and pimples. Castor Oil effectively treats acne because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties and the fatty acids present in the castor oil help to restore your skin’s natural oil balance.
4. Heals Inflamed Skin
The anti-inflammatory property of Castor Oil helps to calm and soothe the dry and inflamed skin. The fatty acids present in this oil penetrate deep into the layers of the skin and heal the skin cells and tissues, thus reducing skin inflammation.
5. Prevents Stretch Mark
Castor Oil is known to increase the elasticity of your skin by boosting the production of collagen and prevents the appearance of stretch marks.
Also Read : Tips to Use Castor Oil for Stretch Marks
6. Reduced Dark Spots And Pigmentation
Castor Oil is quite beneficial in treating dark spots and blemishes. It helps to even out your skin tone by reducing pigmentation.
Regular application of Castor Oil on the face makes your skin more radiant, flawless and beautiful. Castor Oil is suitable for all skin types. Being a versatile oil, Castor Oil easily blends with any oil. You can dilute it with lighter facial oil and add it in your beauty regime. Let’s create our own blend which will definitely help to nourish, replenish and revitalize your skin. Let’s see how.
DIY Recipe For Skin
Let’s create a simple power-packed blend for our skin, which is ideal for dry skin.
- 1 tablespoon of Castor Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Virgin Coconut Oil
- Mix both the oils in a clean glass bowl.
- Wash your face with warm water to open up the pores of your skin.
- Apply this mixture and massage gently in a circular motion for 5 minutes, so that the oil gets absorbed into your skin.
- Let it sit overnight and wash off with warm water in the morning to reveal a healthy and beautiful skin which is soft and supple.
Castor Oil For Health
Apart from its beauty benefits, Castor Oil is also known for its health benefits. It is considered as an age-old remedy for treating many ailments. No many people are aware of its health benefits.
- Castor Oil helps to increase immunity and fights infection by producing White Blood Cells.
- Castor Oil is known to induce labour in pregnant women.
- This oil is known to treat moles and cysts. Applying Castor Oil along with baking soda helps to dissolve cysts and corns.
- Castor Oil is a well-known laxative. It helps to treat constipation. The ricinoleic acid present in Castor Oil is responsible for relieving constipation.
- Castor Oil is well known for its anti-inflammatory property, due to which it is very effective in treating arthritis, joint pain, nerve inflammation and sore muscles.
Possible Side Effects Of Castor Oil
Castor Oil is quite beneficial in treating a number of beauty and health conditions, because of its incredible properties. But before using, you should also be aware of its possible side effects.
- Castor Oil is known to cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Pregnant women should avoid ingesting Castor Oil, as it is known to induce labour in early stages of pregnancy.
- Castor Oil is also known to cause diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
This oil has many benefits ranging from skin to hair to health. Castor Oil is a must-have natural oil in your kitty. Make sure that you use pure and organic Castor Oil to harness all its benefits.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.