What is Citronella Oil?
Citronella Essential oil is obtained from the leaves and stem of Citronella plant by the process of steam distillation. This Essential Oil has numerous health benefits as it has got antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Due to these, it is used to treat numerous skin and hair issues effectively. Citronella Oil is widely used in Aromatherapy because of its tangy, citrusy and refreshing aroma. It is used in small quantities in scents, cosmetics, as an insect repellent, as diuretic and antispasmodic.
Are There Any Side Effects of Citronella Oil?
- Citronella Oil is generally considered as a non-toxic essential oil as it can be safely applied on your skin and in food, but only after proper dilution.
- People with sensitive skin may sometimes experience an allergic reaction (dermatitis, irritation and sensitization) when applied topically.
- Citronella Oil should always be diluted with a carrier oil, undiluted citronella oil can result in overdose which may cause complications like increased heart rate.
- Citronella Oil should not be taken internally without the supervision of an expert or a healthcare professional.
- It is not safe to inhale concentrated Citronella Oil as it causes irritation to mucous membrane and lung damage has been reported.
- People undergoing any medications e.g. estrogen dependent cancer patients should not use Citronella Oil.
Precautions and Warnings
1. For Children
Keep out of the reach of children. Citronella Oil is also not considered safe to inhale by children as may cause irritation to eyes and skin. In some cases, lung damage has also been reported.
2. Pregnant and Breastfeeding Mothers
Pregnant and Breastfeeding mothers should avoid using Citronella Oil or use it only under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
Just like every good thing has its own pros and cons, similarly, Citronella Oil though very beneficial for us in many ways, it has its own set of side effects also. Citronella Oil or any other essential oil may have adverse effects for people undergoing any medical or health conditions, so it is always advisable to seek advice from your healthcare provider before using Citronella Oil. Always make sure that you use a limited amount of this oil, as an overdose may be hazardous to health.
Read up on all the benefits and uses of Citronella Oil. Citronella oils is very commonly found in the natural insect repellents in the market.
Written By - Akhila Menon
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.