Hair loss is a general problem and is caused due to many of the reasons including heredity, stress and infections. Some of these causes can be addressed with better diet, lifestyle and hair care. Some natural ingredients are known to help hair health and prevent hair loss. Coconut oil is one of the popular ones of such remedies.
Coconut oil is a natural ingredient used in cooking and also known for skin and hair treatments due to its various benefits. It nourishes hair and ensures a healthy and shiny hair growth. Let's understand how coconut oil can be used to prevent hair loss.
What Causes Hair Loss?
To understand how to prevent hair loss, let us first dive into the factors or conditions that lead to hair loss problems.
There are many scalp infections that lead to hair loss. Ringworm, Folliculitis, and Piedra are some of the scalp Infection in which microorganisms grow on the scalp and provides bald patches in the head.
Styling and hair treatments cause falling of hair by making them really week. Tight braids, chemical products or heat used during styling damage the hair and affects their root that also impacts the hair volume.
Colouring your hair for a long time is also a cause of hair loss. The chemicals present in hair colour do not affect immediately but damage hair over time when used regularly. There is also a possibility of allergy with a die that can also make hair to fall out.
Ironing your hair makes them weak and promotes hair loss. Heat from ironing causes damage to hair that leads to improper growth and less volume of hair. Moisture present in wet ironing damage the hair more and also affects the structure of hair.
5.Harsh Hair Product
Your harsh shampoo or any of your hair care products can harm the hair. Polyethylene glycol and other harmful ingredients present in a variety of hair care products make hair dry and brittle that leads to hair loss.
Emotional stress is another reason for hair loss and affects it more than physical stress does. Anxiety and depression should be managed and cured as they do not just affect the hair health but also lead to several other negative effects on life quality. Do sufficient physical exercise, take stress reducing steps and do not hesitate therapy and consulting an expert.
Family history is one of the common reason for baldness. This condition is known as male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. It usually occurs with age and leads to bald spots in men and thickening of hair in women.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Hair Loss
- Lauric acid present in coconut oil helps in binding the protein in hair, protects the roots and scalp and also prevents hair from breaking.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil help in fighting against microorganisms that reduce or inhibits hair growth.
- Coconut oil also contains antioxidants that help in boosting healthy growth of hair.
- Coconut oil acts as sebum that does not allow the scalp to become dry and also protects the hair strands from damage by covering them. Proper massage with coconut oil also promotes healthy hair follicles.
- After applying, coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and protects hair from excessive heat, dust and other pollutants.
- Massaging with coconut oil also improves the blood circulation that promotes hair growth.
- It acts as a natural conditioner and keeps the hair silky and shiny.
How Does Coconut Oil Works To Prevent Hair Loss?
1. Helps In Improving Circulation Of Blood
Blood circulation gets improved by having a massage of coconut oil on the scalp that allows the nutrients to reach hair follicles. It even makes hair stronger and thicker because of the essential nutrients present in coconut oil.
2. Prevents From Infection
Antibacterial and antimicrobial properties in coconut oil make it a perfect solution to get rid of infections. Even it helps in getting rid of dandruff and head lice.
3. Moisturises Scalp
Coconut oil helps in keeping the scalp hydrated and avoiding dehydration. It is a natural conditioner which helps in keeping scalp moisturised and makes them more healthy and beautiful.
4. Strengthen Roots
5. Nourishes Hair
Coconut oil is a vital source of essential nutrients and antioxidants that are beneficial for hair. It keeps hair well nourished and removes dandruff promoting beautiful and healthy hair.
6. Protects From Irritation
Coconut oil can be used to treat itching and infections. And this quality is attributed to its anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help in calming the irritation and also helps in healing.
Uses Of Coconut Oil For Hair Loss
1. Gentle Massage
- Coconut oil
- Shower cap
- Rub coconut oil in your hands and gently massage on the scalp for 10 minutes.
- Cover the hair with shower cap for one hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild cleanser.
2. Detangled Hair
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil to melt it.
- Apply the coconut oil gently on the hair tips.
- Now slowly detangle your hair with a comb.
3. Remove Dandruff
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil so that it melts.
- Massage the coconut oil on the freshly washed and dried scalp at night.
- After the massage, cover your head with a towel.
- Rinse off the hair in the morning with shampoo and conditioner.
4. Use Coconut Oil Before Colouring Hair
- 2-3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Box hair dye and developer
- A plastic mixing bowl
- Heat the coconut oil and apply it on your hair. Then comb your hair.
- Mix the colorant and developer using a mixing bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your oily hair
- Leave it for the recommended time
- Wash it off using a shampoo.
- When your hair is dry, cover it a towel to allow the colour to set up.
5. Protect Hair From Sun
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- A spray bottle
- A comb
- Mix coconut oil in water and fill it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on your hair using the bottle.
- You can do this many times a day to protect your hair from sun damage.
6. Lice Treatment
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ylang-ylang oil
- 1 tablespoon anise oil
- 1 tablespoon tea tree oil
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and prepare a paste.
- Apply the paste on your hair and massage the scalp with it.
- Cover the hair with a shower cap for two hours.
- After two hours comb your hair and then wash them with a shampoo and conditioner.
- Now add 2 tablespoon vinegar to a cup of water and pour this mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spritz the solution on hair and scalp with the spray bottle while hair is still wet.
- Comb your hair and style it as you want.
Home Remedies Using Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup liquid castile soap
- 50-60 drops of any essential oil
- Mix coconut oil and milk in a bowl over low heat.
- Pour the mixture in a bottle and top with the castile soap.
- Shake the mixture. Then add 50-60 drops of essential oil in it. Then shake again.
- Use this solution as a shampoo.
- 2-3 tablespoon coconut oil
- A shower cap
- Wash your hair with a shampoo and do not condition them. Leave them to dry.
- Heat some coconut oil in a bowl to melt it.
- When your hair is completely dry, apply the coconut oil on hair and massage in the scalp.
- Comb your hair for good coverage so that oil can coat each strand.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a towel for 45 minutes. You can also leave it overnight.
- Then wash your hair again using a shampoo.
Here are some helpful tips to be followed when applying coconut oil.
1. Initially Use Small Amount
In the beginning, start with a small amount and increase the dosage with time as you don’t how your hair will handle coconut oil.
2. Avoid Scalp
Coconut oil is good for treating dandruff, but it can also cause irritation and may clog pores in some people with a sensitive scalp. Therefore, use coconut oil directly on hair and not on the scalp.
3. Add Other Ingredients
Adding other oils or any ingredient can alter its effectiveness. Mixing honey and yogurt with coconut oil and applying it provides more benefits than provided by coconut oil alone.
How To Choose Coconut Oil For Hair?
Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies to treat hair. It can be used to promote hair growth and making hair more nourished, smooth and shiny.
When buying for coconut oil always go for virgin coconut oil, which retains all the nutrients to the best degree as it is not subjected to chemicals or to heat during the processing.
20 Useful Natural Tips And Remedies To Stop Hair Fall
Author Name: Rashi Sharma
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.