All of us want to have picture-perfect skin. But having a picture-perfect skin does not happen overnight. Our skin has to go through a lot of wear and tear because of the exposure to pollution, UV rays and extreme climatic conditions. Because of our busy schedules, many of us may not be able to invest the required time to pamper our skin. In order to have vibrant skin, you need to follow a set skincare routine. Before starting a regular skincare regime a lot of questions might be bothering you as to how many products to use, in what order should they be applied, what should be your skincare routine in the morning, should the same skincare routine be followed at night as well?
Don’t worry, we got you covered. Keep reading further to know about what should be your exact skincare routine to have a crystal clear skin.
What Should Be A Perfect Skincare Regime?
Crystal clear skin is nowhere related to genes, it requires a regular skincare regime to be followed set according to the needs of your skin. Though each of our skin types are different, irrespective of the skin type, a basic skincare regime that needs to be followed includes
- Cleansing- Washing your skin to get rid of dirt, dust and grime
- Toning- Restoring the pH of skin and clearing the skin
- Moisturizing- Keeping your skin hydrated
The idea behind a regular skincare regime is to target the problem areas of your skin, repair & heal the damaged skin cells and refine your skin tone. As you age your skincare requirements also change. Before starting a skincare regime, 2 factors to keep in mind are – your skin type & age.
The 3 step skincare regime helps to nourish, moisturize and fortify your skin and at the same time protects and heals your skin from the daily wear and tear.
Time Required For Evaluating A Product Performance
Whenever you start using a skincare product, it is unfair to start expecting instant results. You need to use it consistently over a period to time to notice the difference in your skin. Apply it once or twice a day depending on your skin type. Use a product for at least 6 weeks, once or twice a day to get the desired result.
Order Of Application Of The Skincare Products
The thumb rule for the application of skincare products should be depending on the consistency- from thinnest to thickest. First comes the cleanser, then toner followed by eye cream, then a serum and lastly the moisturizer. This should be the order of application.
Step By Step Procedure For Your Daily Skincare Regime
The skincare regime should become a habit which should be religiously followed by every individual to keep your skin nourished, moisturized and rejuvenated. Let us elucidate on the perfect skincare regime which needs to be followed to get a crystal clear skin and for keeping skincare issues at bay.
Washing your skin should be the first step towards your skincare regime. You need to wash your face twice a day to get rid of dirt, dust and grime which can otherwise clog your pores and make your skin dull and acne-prone.
Choosing The Correct Product Formulas
While choosing a skincare product for yourself, always consider your skin type, because some products may be suitable for a particular skin type and some may not. Choosing the right formula helps to gently cleanse your skin without stripping it off the natural oils. Given below is the cleanser type for each skin type
- Dry, red or Eczema Prone Skin – Creamy or Lotion
- Oily or Acne-Prone Skin – Foaming Liquid
- Sensitive Skin – Oil
- Mature Skin – Melting Balm
- Any Skin Type – Micellar Water
Always look for the term ‘Non-Comedogenic’ mentioned on the label of the skincare product. If a product formula is Non-Comedogenic in nature, it means that the active ingredients present in the product will not clog the pores of your skin.
Take a small amount of the cleanser in your palm, activate it with little water and the lather forms which is to be applied all over your facial skin in a gentle circular motion.
- Massage for 1 minute to let the product formula break down the dirt and absorb the excess of sebum from the pores.
- Then wash it off with water.
- You should cleanse your skin twice a day, once in the morning and the other at night before going to bed.
Tip: Always wash your face with luke warm water as it helps in better cleansing.
The next step in maintaining a healthy skincare regime is toning, which is generally done after cleansing your skin and before slathering any other product on your skin. Most of the toners are loaded with astringent properties. Earlier toners used to be an alcohol-based liquids which were used to remove any leftover dirt and debris after cleansing. Gradually things have changed because today the toners that are available in the market are considered to be a skin supplement loaded with skin-nourishing ingredients which help in balancing the complexion. The toners prepare your skin for better absorption of the products used in your skincare regimen.
While choosing the toner, look for some common names in the list of ingredients such as
- Hyaluronic Acid- to keep your skin moisturized for a longer time by sealing the moisture inside.
- Rose Water & Green Tea- Their anti-inflammatory property helps to soothe the dry, itchy and irritated skin.
- Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids- Help to get rid of dead skin cells, thereby effectively unclogging the pores and healing the sun-damaged skin.
- Vitamin C and E- Their strong antioxidant property helps to fight free radicals and reduce the damaging effect on the skin.
- Take a cotton pad and saturate it with the required amount of toner.
- Gently apply all over your face and neck.
Tip: Mostly toners can be applied twice a day, both in the morning and at night. But if your toner has exfoliating acids, then it is better to use it every alternate day.
3. Eye Cream
Eye creams are not compulsory for everyone. But it’s a must if you are dealing with issues such as hyperpigmentation, puffiness, dark circles and dryness. The area around your eyes is very sensitive and you need to choose the product carefully otherwise you may end up causing skin irritation around the eye area. Generally, Dermatologists recommend opting for eye creams which have potential sensitivity, gentle on your sensitive skin and have a tolerable concentration of active ingredients.
If you have puffy under-eyes, then look out for ingredients such as Caffeine, Hyaluronic Acid and Peptides in your skincare product, which have a soothing effect on your under-eyes.
If dark circles are your primary concern, then look out for Kojic Acid, Vitamin C and Niacinamide which are known for their skin brightening properties.
- Take a small amount of the eye cream in your finger.
- Gently massage it in a circular motion around your eyes for 2 minutes
- Leave it overnight.
Most people are comfortable using eye creams at night and some people even use in the morning to enhance the look of their concealer. Eye creams are generally applied after cleansing and toning your skin. It totally depends on the individual’s choice whether to use eye creams in the day time or not.
Tip: Avoid products containing Retinol and having strong fragrance as it can irritate the delicate skin around your eyes.
The serum is considered to be an elixir for your skin as it is helpful in treating various skin conditions such as hyperpigmentation, dark spots, uneven skin tone and wrinkles etc. It is good practice to use a serum even if you don’t have any skincare issue. Serums are a concentration of active ingredients which nourish, moisturize, revitalize and replenish your skin making it soft, smooth, radiant and more youthful.
While choosing the facial serum lookout for these products:
- Vitamin C- Helps to lighten and brighten the dark and dull skin
- Hyaluronic Acid- Keeps your skin hydrated by sealing in the moisture and preventing water loss from the epidermal layer of the skin
- Vitamin B3, Retinol and Peptides- Boost the production of collagen and elastin which helps to eradicate wrinkles, fine lines
- Colloidal Sulfur, Niacinamide- Their antibacterial property helps to fight acne, pimples and their anti-inflammatory property has a soothing effect on the dry and itchy skin.
Take a peanut size of the serum in your palm and apply by gently dabbing it all over the face and neck.
Tip: Vitamin C and retinol-based serums are generally applied at night before going to bed as they are highly unstable and will easily degrade when applied in the day time.
Moisturizers are applied on the skin to keep your skin soft, supple and hydrated. It helps in preventing water loss from the outer layer of the skin and keeps it hydrated and well-nourished. Moisturizers help to complement the skin’s natural oil and the natural protective barrier of the skin such as the ceramides. Our daily activities such as washing, exfoliating and other external factors such as environmental aggressors can stripe your skin off its natural oil, thus making your skin dull, dry and it’s very essential to compensate for the moisture loss. Moisturizer is the only skincare product, which is recommended by the dermatologist to be used throughout the year on your skin, to prevent your skin from becoming dry and flaky.
Everyone needs moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated, soft and supple. As we age, our skin is not able to retain moisture and we need to apply moisturizer to compensate the moisture loss. Everyone’s need for a moisturizer is different, hence the texture of the moisturizer is also different. Always keep your skin type in mind, while choosing a moisturizer.
- Oily Skin- Gel-based moisturizer
- Dry Skin- Cream/ Soft Cream
- Combination Skin- Lotion
- Sensitive Skin- Balm
Moisturiser is further differentiated into Day and Night creams.
- Day Creams: The moisturizer which you apply during the day time are specially formulated to protect your skin against environmental aggressors such as extreme weather, dust, pollution and sunscreen to provide protection against the UV rays. These moisturizers are rich in antioxidants which fight free radicals to minimize the damage caused to your skin by these external factors.
- Night Creams: Night creams are designed to repair your skin from the wear and tear caused to your skin due to the daily activities. Retinol is the key ingredient in most of the night creams which accelerates the cellular turnover and repairs your skin by reducing dark spots and wrinkles. These creams are known to be equipped with emollient properties.
- Take a small amount in your palm and warm up the ingredients in your hands by rubbing your palm together.
- Apply on your cheeks using a gentle circular motion.
- Apply on the forehead and rest of the face and neck using gentle, upward strokes.
Tip: While applying moisturizer always apply on your face and neck in a circular motion using upward strokes to give a lift to your facial skin.
The role of sunscreen is crucial in defining a perfect skincare regime as it helps to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun. A good sunscreen is a must for all skin types. Consistent use of sunscreen helps to prevent skin imperfections such as hyper pigmentation, blemishes, dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines. Many moisturizers have inbuilt sunscreen formula and it is recommended by dermatologists to use a sunscreen formula with minimum SPF of 30.
While choosing a best and safest sunscreen for your skin, look for active sun-blocking chemical ingredients such as Octinoxate and Oxybenzone and physical ingredients such as Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide are absorbed into the skin to prevent the damaging effect of the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. The typical sunscreen lotion should be lightweight and non-greasy which can be evenly applied on your skin.
Apply sunscreen evenly on all the exposed areas of the skin to protect your skin from the damaging effect of the sun rays.
Tip: Sunscreen should always be applied 30 minutes before going out and if possible reapply after every 2 hours.
Night Skincare Regime
For your night skincare regime, the basic procedure remains the same: cleansing, followed by toning, eye cream, serum and a moisturizer. Here instead of sunscreen, you can use face oils such as jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil to lock the moisturizer inside your skin. But adding face oil in your skincare regime is optional and totally depends on your personal choice.
In order to have clear, radiant and youthful skin, you need to follow the above-mentioned skincare regime on a daily basis and make it a part of your daily routine. This the simplest and the best skincare routine which is hassle free. A healthy and a glowing skin helps to add charm to your personality, so never ignore the daily needs of your skin…!!
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.