You will never want yourself or your loved ones to fall sick. In order to stay healthy, you should understand the importance of hygiene, especially of your hands. It is through hands that you come in contact with the disease causing bacteria and germs. There are so many contagious diseases such as gastrointestinal infections, respiratory diseases, chickenpox, meningitis, hepatitis A, H1N1 and the latest being the coronavirus which spread from one person to another through contaminated hands. Hence, it is impertinent to keep your hands always clean. Washing your hands with soap or handwash is the common practice that we follow. Another alternative to keep your hands clean is to use a hand sanitizer. You must have seen people using Hand Sanitizers in many public places such as offices, supermarkets, malls, hotels, airports and public restrooms. It is always good to practice hand hygiene as it is the best and effective way to prevent infections. We should try to inculcate this practice in our kids at a very early age so that they also understand the importance of hand hygiene in daily life.
Here in this article, we are going to give you in-depth knowledge about hand sanitizers.
What Is A Hand Sanitizer?
Hand Rub or commonly known as Hand Sanitizer is a liquid or gel-based solution which is usually used to keep your hands free from germs. Two variants of hand rub are generally available: alcohol-based and non-alcohol based, of which the alcohol-based hand sanitizer is more effective as it works against a variety of disease spreading microorganisms.
Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers are usually available in a combination of isopropyl alcohol, ethanol or propanol. If the percentage of alcohol is 65-95%, then it is considered to kill maximum germs. It is the best substitute for soap and water. Hand Sanitizer is more effective than hand washes as it works in mere 10-30 secs and helps in combating many strains of bacteria, fungus and viruses.
Non-alcohol based versions may contain benzalkonium chloride or triclosan. But non-alcohol based hand sanitizer may not be very effective against many types of germs and it just reduces the growth of harmful germs instead of killing them.
How Does A Hand Sanitizer Work?
Initially, hand sanitizers were developed to use after handwash or when soap and water were not easily accessible. The gel-based sanitizers have more than 65% alcohol content as alcohol is known to have antiseptic properties which kills numerous disease-causing microorganisms present on the surface of the skin. It starts working instantly and kills most of the bacteria, viruses that too in less than 30 sec. Thus,it gives you protection against various contagious diseases. Hand Sanitizer does not kill the human cell but instead, works against microbial cells. It is based on the use of 70% of Isopropyl alcohol which is the rubbing alcohol that conveniently kills the microorganisms or germs present on the skin surface. This 70% isopropyl alcohol is more fruitful than 100% concentration as it has water added to it which makes the absorption easy. Hand Sanitizers work against the virus, by rupturing its outer coat whereas it destroys the bacteria by disrupting its cell membrane.
How To Use A Hand Sanitizer?
In order to effectively clean your hands of all the lingering germs, you need to take a small amount almost the size of a thumbnail in your palms and rub it over your entire hand, including the nailbeds. Let it get absorbed into your skin. Be sure that you cover the surfaces of both your hands including your finger, fingertip and nails. Also, make sure that you rub the sanitizer 2 inches up to your wrist. Do not wipe off the sanitizer, let it dry in air.
Benefits Of Hand Sanitizer
Hand Sanitizers are the best products to keep our hands germ-free. You can comfortably carry them around as these hand sanitizers come in easy to carry bottles. They are simple to use and you can use them whenever you are outside especially while traveling, on your way to school, college, office, in restaurants, airports, after using a public restroom and after visiting hospitals. The benefits of hand sanitizers are many, amongst them are a few mentioned below:
- Hand Sanitizers destroy disease-causing microorganisms such as bacteria, virus and fungus, and keep us safe from diseases.
- When you do not have access to soap and water to clean your hands, then you have hand sanitizer to your rescue. You can use it whenever you want to clean your hands, by just using a few drops of hand sanitizer.
- Hand Sanitizers are cost-effective and they are capable of giving long-lasting protection.
- Alcohol-free sanitizer helps to keep your hands soft, improves the texture of your hands making it soft and smooth. Some hand sanitizers have glycerine, aloe vera gel to keep your hands moisturized.
- Hand Sanitizers are portable and can be carried in your pockets, handbags.
- Hand Sanitizers work in less than 30 secs, giving you instant protection against germs as compared to hand wash.
- It helps reduce bacterial count on hands.
Uses Of Hand Sanitizer
Hand Sanitizer is a perfect solution for your personal hygiene and it is capable of killing 99.9% germs. It is always good to wash your hands properly with handwash and water, but when these two things are not easily accessible and you need to protect your hands from germs, then you definitely need a hand sanitizer. You can use it anywhere, anytime- in car, office, when traveling by bus, train, during a nappy change, while in the gym, restaurants, hospitals, parks, playgrounds. Let’s see what all this small bottle of hand rub can do for you.
- You can clean your eyeglasses with hand sanitizer. Just dab a few drops of it and clean your eyeglasses to get rid of finger marks.
- You can use a hand sanitizer to clean your silver jewellery and utensils, as the sanitizer cuts through the tarnish and brings back the original shine.
- It also acts as a dry shampoo. Squeeze out a small amount of the hand sanitizer on your hands and apply it on the roots of your hair and your hair will look great.
- You can also use the hand sanitizer to clean the surface of your hair straightener. Your hair straightener may contain traces of hair and bacteria. Just dab a few drops of hand sanitizer on a clean cloth and rub the surfaces of the hair straightener with it.
- When you use a hair spray there are chances of it getting sprayed onto the mirror, no need to worry. You can simply dab a few drops on hand sanitizer on a cotton cloth and wipe off the stains.
- You can clean your makeup brushes with the help of a hand sanitizer. Just dab them with hand sanitizer after washing the brushes properly, and allow them to dry properly.
- You can use a hand sanitizer to clear off the stains of permanent marker on clothes. Place a piece of paper below the stain so that the stain doesn't bleed to the other layer of the cloth. Now do not rub, just dab the sanitizer on the stain of the marker.
- You cannot imagine how dirty the keyboard of your laptop or computer can be. You can keep it clean by using a hand sanitizer as it helps to get rid of germs and dust as well.
- Using a hand sanitizer you can also clean the surface of mobile, making it germ-free and sparkling clean.
DIY Hand Sanitizer
From age-old times, alcohol is considered to be the best antiseptic and is quietly known for killing germs and bacteria, wound healing etc. Due to this property of alcohol, it is widely used in the manufacturing of hand sanitizers. Due to the outbreak of contagious diseases like Corona Virus, the demand for hand sanitizers have touched the roof and have run out of stock in many drug stores. Hand Sanitizers have become the basic necessity of our life, you should never run out of it. You can make your own, at home. Let’s see how:
- ⅔ cup of 99% of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol)
- ⅓ cup of Aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- Mix ⅔ cup of 99% of isopropyl alcohol and ⅓ cup of aloe vera gel into a clean bowl.
- To this add lavender essential oil and mix well.
- Transfer the contents to a bottle which is easy to carry.
- Your homemade hand sanitizer is ready to use!
Which Is The Best Hand Sanitizer?
Many brands of hand sanitizers are available in the market and the price of hand sanitizer also alters. But the best hand sanitizer amongst the plethora of hand sanitizers available is alcohol-based sanitizer with 70-95 % of alcohol content which is capable of killing 99.9% of bacteria within 30 secs of application.
This pandemic has been an eye-opener for many of us as there is an increased awareness among people about the importance of keeping your hands clean. The world has witnessed a surge in the use of hand sanitizer and hand washes among people. Better understanding and awareness among people about healthy living habits will definitely help to keep diseases at bay, thereby helping us to lead a healthy life.
MOISTURIZING HAND SANITIZER, 50ML, WITH 70% ALCOHOL, ALOE VERA AND FRENCH LAVENDER
- SANITIZE & MOISTURIZE: All the protection without all the side effects. Sanitize your hands while avoiding the side effects of normal hand sanitizers - dryness, irritation or cracking of the skin.
- USE FOR: Kills 99.99% Germs. Use as a hand sanitizer and to avoid skin problems from normal hand sanitizers. Additionally moisturizes your skin. Use before meals, outdoors, after using public spaces, anytime you need to clean your hand without water.
Written By - Akhila Menon
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.