Skin is your body’s first line of defence against various disease-causing pathogens. Each day your skin has to go through a lot of wear and tear. The extreme weather, pollution, harmful UV rays, stress and tension- all these factors take a toll on your skin making it dull, dry and lifeless. But you don’t have to worry now, as Lavender Oil is there for your rescue. It is bestowed with the goodness of nature. You will be amazed to know about the benefits of Lavender Oil for your skin.
Lavender Essential Oil is extracted by the steam distillation of buds and flowers of Lavender plant. This oil is a solution to most of your skin care problems as it is very gentle on your skin when used in required dilution. At the same time, it helps to fight against various skin infections.
What Are The Benefits Of Lavender Oil For Skin & Face?
Since ages, Lavender Oil is used in the skincare regime because of its enchanting fragrance and its healing property. It improves the texture and complexion of your skin, giving you a healthy and glowing skin. Let’s discuss the benefits of Lavender Oil. Please note that lavender oil in its pure form is highly concentrated and hence always needs to be diluted before use topically on skin or hair.
- Lavender Oil exhibits antibacterial property due to which it is very effective in treating acne.
- Lavender Oil is rich in antioxidant that effectively fights off free radicals which is responsible for wrinkles and fine lines.
- Lavender Oil has antimicrobial property due to which it is very effective in treating skin infections like eczema and psoriasis.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory property, Lavender Oil effectively soothes dry, flaky and itchy skin.
- Lavender Oil is very effective in treating dark spot, blemishes and hyperpigmentation.
- Lavender Oil, when diluted with a carrier oil, acts as an excellent moisturizer.
- Lavender Oil exhibits anti-inflammatory property due to which it also acts as a pain reliever. It helps to soothe the inflamed skin and numbs the pain.
- Lavender Oil exhibits healing property, due to which it is used to treat minor cuts and wounds.
- Lavender Oil also acts as an excellent natural insect repellant. Lavender Oil helps to keep insects at bay because of its aroma. It is also beneficial in treating insect bites.
- Lavender Oil has a soothing and calming effect, which helps to relax your mind and body. It helps your body muscles to relax and is one of the best essential oils to induce good sleep.
Ways To Use Lavender Oil For Skin & Face
Lavender Oil exhibits antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory property due to which it can effectively treat a lot of skin ailments. It is gentle and has soothing properties which are beneficial for people with dry and flaky skin. Let’s have a look at how to use Lavender Oil on your face and skin:
1. To Treat Cuts
Lavender Oil has got powerful antiseptic properties due to which it helps to treat minor cuts and wounds. Lavender Oil accelerates the process of cell regeneration which helps to wound to heal faster and its antiseptic property prevents any further infection on the wound.
- Add 1 portion of Lavender Oil to 5 portions of coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture daily before going to bed and let it stay for overnight.
- Lavender oil helps to heal the wound faster and also helps to soothe the inflamed skin.
2. To Heal Sun Burns
Exposure to the sun for a long time can cause sunburn and tan your skin as well. If your skin is red, swollen, itchy then you should look out for Lavender Oil which will give you relief from sunburn. Lavender Oil has a cooling effect which gives instant relief from sunburn. Lavender Oil promotes the regeneration of new cells and thus aids in the healing process.
- Add 5 drops of Lavender Oil to 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area to get relief from the burning and itching sensation.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day, until your skin starts recovering.
3. For Youthful Skin
Lavender Oil is beneficial to maintain youthful and glowing skin. It is high in antioxidants which helps to fight free radicals responsible for cellular damage. Lavender Oil also helps to improve blood circulation, thereby rejuvenating your skin.
- Take 4 drops of Lavender Oil and 4 drops of Frankincense Oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil in a clean bowl.
- Mix the oils thoroughly.
- Apply some of this mixture all over your face and neck and massage in a circular motion for 5 minutes.
- Apply this twice a day, in the morning after a bath, when your skin is damp and at night before going to bed.
How To Treat Pimples Using Lavender Oil?
Lavender Oil has anti-inflammatory as well as antimicrobial properties due to which it is very effective in treating pimples. It helps to soothe the inflamed skin and its antimicrobial property fights the bacteria responsible for causing pimples.
1. Lavender Oil Spot Treatment For Curing Pimples
Lavender oil is concentrated essential oil which should not be used raw on your skin. Always dilute the essential oil with a proper carrier oil and apply on the pimple directly with a cotton swab.
- Take 4 drops of Lavender Oil and mix it with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil like Jojoba Oil.
- Apply this mixture directly on your pimple with the help of a cotton ball and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild oil-free face wash.
- Repeat this process every day until the pimple is fully cured.
2. Lavender Oil And Tea Tree Oil Spot Treatment For Pimples
Tea Tree Oil is another essential oil which is beneficial for treating pimples because of it antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. While mixing 2 essential oils it is very important to ensure to take a correct proportion of both the essential oil and blend it well.
- Take 10 drops of Jojoba Oil.
- To this add 2 drops of Lavender Oil and 1 drop of Tea Tree Oil and mix well.
- Apply this mixture directly on the spot with a cotton ball.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes before washing off with cold water.
- Repeat this process daily until you see a reduction in pimples.
Treatment Of Acne By Using Lavender Oil
Lavender Oil is very beneficial in treating acne as it has an anti-inflammatory property which helps to soothe the red, swollen and inflamed skin caused due to acne. Its antibacterial property helps to fight the infection causing bacteria.
1. Lavender Oil Vapor For Treating Acne
Taking the vapour of Lavender Oil on your acne prone skin is very beneficial for treating acne. It clears the pores and pulls out dirt and sebum from the pores and thus helps to unclog the pores.
- Take water in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, remove from heat and add a few drops of Lavender Oil to it.
- Cover your head with a towel and hold your face over the water, continue taking vapour for about 10 minutes.
- Let your face dry naturally and once it is dry rub ice cubes wrapped in a washcloth all over your face and neck for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Lavender Oil With Aloe Vera For Acne Treatment
Aloe Vera is best known for its cooling and soothing effect. Aloe Vera helps to moisturize your skin at the same time it helps to soothe the itchy and irritated skin due to acne. Aloe vera has tremendous healing power as well.
- Cut a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and cut open.
- Scoop out the pulp from it and smash it well to make a thick gel.
- Add 5 drops of Lavender Oil to 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel.
- Apply this mixture generously all over the acne prone skin.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and wash off with water.
- Do this treatment regularly to get rid of acne.
3. Lavender Oil With Glycerin For Treating Acne Quickly
Glycerin is known for its hydrating property. It helps to keep your skin moisturized, soft and supple. Glycerin mixed with Lavender Oil can be used to cover a larger area.
- Add 5-6 drops of Lavender Oil to 1 Tablespoon of glycerin.
- Add 15 drops to water to this mixture.
- Mix it well and then apply on the affected part.
- Let it remain for 20 minutes and wash off with water.
- Do this twice a day to get relief from acne.
4. Lavender Oil With Honey For Acne Treatment
Honey's benefits include its anti-inflammatory property which helps to soothe the inflamed skin. Its antibacterial property helps to fight acne-causing bacteria. Honey mixed with Lavender Oil is an excellent combination for treating acne.
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey and to this add 1 tablespoon of water.
- To this dilute solution of honey, add 5 drops of Lavender Oil.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and let it remain for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
5. Lavender Oil With Omega -3 Fatty Acid
Omega-3 fatty acid is very beneficial for your skin. It helps to moisturize and nourish your skin, thus it is necessary to maintain healthy skin. It has healing properties as well.
Puncture 1 Omega-3 capsule (easily available in a drug store) and pour its contents into a glass jar.
- Add 2 drops of Lavender Oil to it and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to the affected area and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Note: Always do a patch test before applying Omega-3 on your skin.
6. Lavender Oil With Oats For Treating Acne
Oats are known to soothe itchy and inflamed skin. It acts as a mild exfoliator and gently cleans your skin by unclogging the blocked pores.
- Take 1 tablespoon of oats and mix it with water to make a smooth paste.
- Add 8-10 drops of Lavender Oil to it and mix it well.
- Apply this mixture on the acne prone skin and let it stay for 20 minutes before washing.
- Apply this mixture regularly for best results.
Are There any Side Effects of Lavender Oil for Skin?
Even if the essential oils are great for certain issues, like all natural ingredients they have their own set of cautions and guidelines. Some people may be allergic to lavender oil or other elements in the recipes and hence check for allergy using a small patch test before a full-scale use. Excess or undiluted use of essential oils is harmful. Always dilute lavender oil in another suitable medium before use and use it in moderation. Though applying Lavender Oil is considered beneficial for treating acne and other skin problems, excess of it can worsen the situation. Some of the negative effects observed are:
- Lavender Oil binds with the fats on the skin surface and remains on your skin even after washing.
- It gets inside the pores of your skin and interacts with the nerves of the skin, which are excited when the skin is inflamed. This trigger the CRH (Corticotrophin Hormone) to release histamine which in turn causes an allergic reaction on the skin.
- Lavender Oil relaxes the smooth muscles around the blood vessels of your skin, which results in increased blood circulation resulting in the outbreak of rosacea.
- The relaxed muscles increase the blood circulation on the face due to which your face becomes redder.
- Lavender Oil makes pimple and acne look more prominent and reddish in colour.
In order to utilise the full benefits of Lavender Oil, you should know the proper usage of it. Initially, you should do it under the guidance of an expert.
So go on, use lavender oil for its aroma, its relaxing effects on the mind and for its many skin and hair benefits. Stay Beautiful, Stay Healthy!
ANVEYA BULGARIAN LAVENDER OIL, 100% PURE, 15ML
- Its floral scent is great for RELAXATION & CALM SLEEP
- Use for Healthy HAIR & DANDRUFF RELIEF
- FACE CARE: Anti-inflammatory properties help Acne and Scars.
- MASSAGE & AROMATHERAPY: natural soothing oil for mind and body
Written By - Akhila Menon
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.