What is Orange Essential Oil?
Orange essential oil is one of the most refreshing & uplifting essential oils with numerous benefits and a variety of uses. Although it isn’t as widely known as a lemon essential oil is, it belongs to the same family of citrus fruits that also includes grapefruit, tangerine, mandarin, lime and bergamot. The commercial orange essential oil is extracted from the orange zest as a by-product of orange juice. You can also prepare small amounts of orange oil at home as it is not recommended to store homemade essential oil for a very long period of time.
The consistency of this tangy essential oil is neither too heavy not watery and the colour varies from pale yellow to orange. Orange oil is often an active ingredient in various skincare, hair care and cleaning products. Furthermore, it is helpful in treating a number of health disorders due to its anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, antiseptic and carminative properties. Orange essential oil is also an ideal choice for aromatherapy all thanks to its captivating sweet fragrance.
Benefits of Orange Oil for Hair
Orange oil effectively treats dry, irritated scalp and eliminates dandruff.
The essential vitamins in orange oil provide deep nourishment to your hair follicles, making them thick and strong.
Orange essential oil moisturizes your hair shaft and prevents it from turning rough, dull and brittle.
Using orange oil on your scalp and hair will improve the texture of your hair strands and encourage hair growth, leading to less hair fall. Also, see here the top natural tips to reduce hair fall.
How to Use Orange Oil for Hair?
1. Hair Mask for Dandruff
The constant itchiness on your scalp due to flaking of the skin weakens your hair follicles and leads to hair breakage. Orange oil can be used to prepare homemade hair masks to treat and prevent dandruff issues. This citrusy essential oil is a natural antiseptic with strong anti-inflammatory properties that help to keep scalp disorders at bay and calm scalp breakouts.
How to Make
- Combine equal portions (say 3-4 drops) of orange, patchouli and eucalyptus essential oil together.
- Add in about two tablespoons of warm of vegetable oil to dilute the essential oils.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage this mixture onto your scalp making circular patterns so that it penetrates deep into the layers of your scalp.
- Tie up your hair and cover it with a shower cap or towel.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and warm water after 2 hours.
Apply this hair mask twice a week and continue until dandruff completely disappears.
2. Hair Mask for Wet Hair
Hair mask for wet hair doesn’t literally mean what the name suggests. You don’t need to use the mask on dripping wet hair as any oil-based mask offers maximum benefit when applied to dry or semi-dry hair. Rather, it means that the texture of the hair mask will be creamy or watery, not greasy.
How to Make
- Make a simple hair mask using 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of fat sour cream or mayonnaise and 5-6 drops of orange essential oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together and apply the velvety paste on your hair, carefully coating all the strands from root to tip.
- Put on a shower cap and let the mask sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo and water.
Apply this hair mask once a week to experience the sweet orange essential oil benefits for hair as it provides moisturization and hydration to your tresses, making them soft, shiny and smooth.
3. Hair Mask for Hair Fall
You can use orange oil to prepare anti-hair fall masks as it will effectively reduce hair loss by making your hair follicles strong and stimulating hair regeneration. Hormonal changes, lifestyle practices, pollution, reaction to a medication, lack of sleep, stress, scalp infections, alopecia, inadequate supply of nutrients- the reasons for hair fall are countless. Using orange peel oil for hair mask solves the issue of hair fall and also helps in balancing out the oiliness in your scalp. You can add 5-6 drops of orange oil to any of your regular hair mask to treat minor hair fall issues or prepare a hair mask using vegetable oil, orange essential oil, lemon juice and brandy to reduce heavy hair fall.
How to Make
- In order to make this anti-hair fall masks, take 2 teaspoons of brandy and lemon juice each.
- Add in about 2 tablespoons of warm vegetable oil and 5 drops of essential oil of orange.
- Stir all the ingredients together and your hair mask to treat hair fall in ready to use.
4. Fragrant Combing
One of the sweet orange essential oil benefits for hair refers to its delightfully refreshing essence that helps in cleansing and detoxifying your scalp, along with offering a sweet citrusy scent.
How to Make
- To use orange oil as a fragrant combining agent, you need to first dilute the oil by mixing it with distilled water.
- Take a cup of purified water and add half a teaspoon of orange essential oil. Stir well and transfer the solution to a spray bottle.
- You can either spray the solution directly to your hair strands to use it as a leave-in hair spray or sprinkle it onto your hairbrush and use it to comb your hair.
Although both the procedures will add a beautiful aroma to your tresses, the latter one will gradually make your hair more elastic. This will help to reduce split ends and hair breakage, improving your overall hair structure. At the same time, keep in mind not to expose your hair follicles to sunlight after applying this hair spray as it can damage them.
5. Mixing with Shampoo or Conditioner
Combining the oil with your shampoo or conditioner is perhaps the easiest way to use orange oil for hair growth. This fuss-free method involves no extra ingredient and is less time-consuming as well. Avoid using hair care products such as shampoo, serum and conditioner that are heavily induced with toxic chemicals as it damages your hair shaft in the long run.
How to Make
- Take a sufficient amount of any product on your palm and add a few drops of orange essential oil. In order to have a better idea, think of it like 10 grams of the base product will require 3-4 drops of orange oil.
- Use this mixture in place of your regular shampoo or conditioner and continue with the rest of your hair care routine.
This will provide additional nourishment to your hair and deeply cleanse your scalp to get rid of excess oil, dirt and impurities. Make sure not to store any excess mixture for future use as it might turn unhygienic and can lead to allergic reactions.
Precautions and Warnings
- The oil is for external use only, do not ingest. Also, avoid direct contact with your eyes, ears and mucous membranes.
- It is recommended to refrigerate the oil as its shelf life is short.
- Do not use the oil during pregnancy, nursing phase or if you are under severe medication, without consulting with a doctor.
- Keep the oil away from the reach of children and pets.
Orange oil has a tonne of benefits for beauty and health. Check these links to know more about orange oil:
You may also be interested in learning about the most popular essential oil and their uses for the most common skin or hair care issues.
ANVEYA ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL, 100% PURE, 15ML
- Great for SKIN, FACE & ACNE
- Hair Health: Prevents CLOGGED PORES or the formation of fungal infections.
- Mood-Lifting AROMATHERAPY: Enjoy the fresh, citrusy aroma
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.