What Is Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil?
Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil is potent oil that is extracted from the Ylang-Ylang tree. The Ylang-Ylang tree is a native tree of Indonesia but is also found in the rainforests of other Asian and South Pacific Islands such as Java, Polynesia, Philippines, and Sumatra. The tree is famous for its fragrant flowers which have a very pleasant aroma. The essential oil itself is extracted by the process of steam distillation of the flowers. The essential oil has been widely sought out for decades because of its medicinal properties. The main chemical composition of the oil includes components such as benzyl acetate, methyl benzoate, benzyl benzoate, and linalool. These compounds contribute to the presence of sesquiterpenes and antioxidants in the oil.
Why Use Ylang-Ylang Oil?
Though primarily, Ylang-Ylang oil is known for its many medicinal properties, it can be used for other purposes as well. Some of them include
- Ylang-ylang oil finds extensive application in fragrances, cosmetic products, and perfumes because of its pleasant, unique and powerful scent.
- Can be used as a room freshener by using it in a diffuser. Its clean and fresh scent makes the home smell clean in no time at all.
- Ylang-ylang oil can be used in conjunction with other carrier oils and massaged into the skin to improve blood circulation.
- The oil can be used to treat hair fall and boost hair strength.
- Ylang-ylang oil is also used as an aphrodisiac.
Also Read : 6 Benefits of Ylang ylang Oil (Infographic)
Ylang-Ylang Oil Benefits
1. Improve Hair Growth
Ylang-Ylang oil has a number of proven benefits for the hair. Since the oil is quite potent, it is advised to use it in combination with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or coconut oil and massage the oil into the scalp. This will promote the appearance of shiny, healthy hair. It also prevents tangles, treats dry hair and reduces hair loss. The oil stimulates the sebaceous glands present on the scalp, making sure that the skin on the scalp does not flake out, thus preventing dandruff and a healthier scalp. According to a study conducted in Israel, using Ylang-Ylang oil as the main ingredient on the hair on a regular basis treated head lice effectively.
2. Improve Skin Condition
Essential oils have been used since time immemorial to promote healthy skin. One such oil that has been sought out to preserve a youthful glow to the skin is Ylang-Ylang. The oil prevents premature aging and thus, the occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles. Over consistent use, Ylang-Ylang is also proven to be successful in fighting the development and growth of melanoma and skin cancer cells. Massaging the oil in combination with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or coconut oil once or twice a day will display significant results.
3. Treat Eczema
Eczema is a skin disease that causes a great deal of pain and discomfort. It is caused when a dysfunctional sebaceous gland secretes large quantities of sebum leading to the infection of epidermal cells. These cells become prominent on the surface of the skin on the cheeks, scalp and even eyebrows, giving it a harsh and uneven look. The anti-inflammatory properties of the Ylang-Ylang essential oil cure inflammation reduce the redness and irritation and keep the sebum production under check.
4. Manage Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is a common issue that hundreds and thousands of people across the globe face today. Though there is an umpteen number of drugs available in the market to keep your blood pressure under check, in the long term, they can have serious consequences on your health. This is where Ylang-Ylang oil comes to the rescue. With virtually no side effects, the oil lowers blood pressure and promotes a healthy heart simply by inhaling it. Another added benefit of the oil is that it alleviates extreme excitation and palpitations of the nervous system.
5. Treat Infection
Ylang-Ylang oil has disinfectant and antiseptic properties. Wounds such as burns, abrasions or cuts that are at risk of becoming septic can be cleaned thoroughly with the oil to prevent any infection from occurring. The oil acts as a disinfectant, making sure that the wound is safe from tetanus or sepsis wounds that may be caused due to microbial activity. It is also used to treat infections internally in the body, especially in the colon, stomach, urinary tract and intestines. Another benefit of the Ylang-Ylang essential oil is that it accelerates the wound healing process when used on the wound regularly.
6. Brain Booster
Ylang-Ylang oil is an excellent brain booster. For those who suffer from constant fatigue and reel tired, exhausted and frustrated all the time, using Ylang-Ylang oil in Aromatherapy can be just the treatment you need. Apply a few drops of the oil on your neck, chest, and wrists. This will soothe your nerves, prevent any nervous disorders and strengthens the nervous system.
7. Treat Depression
Numerous studies that have been conducted on the benefits of Ylang-Ylang oil have confirmed that oil is one of the best known natural antidepressants available today. While the study conducted in Thailand successfully treated depressed patients, the study in Malaysia proved that volunteers who inhaled the oil felt more relaxed than those that did not. Thus, the oil provides a harmonizing effect on the human body, giving the person a sense of relief from shock, anxiety, and fear. It also helps people who suffer from nervous breakdowns and stress due to trauma.
Also Read : 10 Effective Essential Oils For Depression
8. Enhance Mood
For those suffering from negative emotions such as anger, jealousy, lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem, Ylang-Ylang oil can prove to be highly beneficial as it helps the body release negative emotions. The oil's ability to act effectively on the olfactory system present in the brain helps to enhance one's mood. It is a natural and mild depression remedy which further treats insomnia without the need for drugs. Its mild sedative effects lower high blood pressure and a fast heartbeat that is caused due to stress and anxiety. The best way to use this oil is in a diffuser or by massaging it on your forehead.
9. Regulating Heartbeat
Some essential oils such as lavender, sage, and Ylang-Ylang are known to support a healthy circulatory system. Ylang-Ylang has anti-inflammatory properties which improve blood flow to the heart, thus promoting a healthy circulatory system. It also prevents an irregular heartbeat or heart arrhythmia and controls blood pressure. The oil can either be applied topically, massaged over the heart in combination with a carrier oil or it can be taken as a dietary supplement with warm water/tea.
10. Treat PMS Cramps
Essential oils find extensive application in Aromatherapy. Ylang-Ylang oil used in aromatherapy or massage is extremely beneficial in the treatment of PMS symptoms, more specifically PMS cramps. You can mix a few drops of the oil with lavender oil and massage it into the back of your neck, all the way down to the lower abdomen for instant relief from tension, stress, and cramps.
How To Use Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil?
Depending on what benefits the Ylang-Ylang essential oil is used for, it can be used in different ways. Some of them include
1. Use As A Diffuser
- 3 drops of Ylang-ylang oil
- 2 drops each of lavender and lemon oil
- A diffuser.
How To Prepare
- Mix the lavender, lemon, and ylang-ylang oil into a homogenous mixture.
- Use this oil in a diffuser for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Doing this on a daily basis calms the body, improves heart health and enhances one's mood.
Also Read : Most Popular Essential Oils for Diffusers
2. Use For Aphrodisiac Massage
- 5-6 drops each of sandalwood oil
- a tablespoon of sweet almond oil
How To Prepare
- Mix the ylang-ylang oil in the almond oil to form a homogenous oil mixture.
- Heat the oil mixture till it becomes comfortably warm. Apply this mixture all over the body, focusing on any stiff joints and muscles.
- The ylang-ylang oil will act as a muscle relaxant.
3. Can Use TopicallyYlang-ylang oil for the skin can be used to promote skin health. In this case, applying the oil topically proves to be the most beneficial.
- a few drops of Ylang-ylang oil
- carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil.
How To Prepare
- Mix the ylang-ylang oil and the carrier oil together to form a homogenous oil mixture.
- Warm the mixture ever so slightly and apply it all over the desired area.
- You can either leave this overnight or let it sit for 30 minutes before you wash it off. Ensure that the oil does not enter the eyes, ears, and nose. In case it does, wash thoroughly immediately.
4. Release Tension
- 2 drops of Ylang-ylang essential oil
- 1 tbsp. of sweet almond oil.
How To Prepare
- Mix the ylang-ylang oil and the almond oil together to form a homogenous oil mixture.
- Warm the mixture ever so slightly and apply it all over the abdomen. This should preferably be done early in the morning, right after a shower.
Ensure that the entire abdomen area is covered. You can even store this mixture for future use. It is important that the concentration of the Ylang-Ylang oil does not exceed the dermal limit of 0.8%
5. Building Confidence
The powerful scents of bergamot oil and ylang-ylang oil combined to stimulate the brain. By stimulating a relaxation response, it automatically builds one's confidence.
- 2 drops each of ylang-ylang oil and bergamot oil.
How To Prepare
- Mix the bergamot and ylang-ylang oil into a homogenous mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your pulse points, mainly focusing them on the wrists and temples.
- You can use this mixture throughout the day. The best part is that it doubles up as a natural perfume as well!
6. Body Lotion
- Any moisturizer of choice
- 10-15 drops of ylang-ylang oil.
How To Prepare
- Mix the moisturizer with the oil, making sure that the oil is distributed thoroughly in the cream.
- Use this lotion on your skin once or twice a day. With consistent use, you will notice that your skin appears healthier, glowy and supple.
Possible Side Effects Of Ylang-Ylang OilAny essential oil, even though it is extracted from natural sources can have some side effects. Thus, there are certain precautions that need to be taken against any side effects that are caused by the Ylang-ylang essential oil.
- Using a very potent formula of the oil can cause an allergic reaction on the skin such as rashes or irritation. Thus, it is important to do a skin patch test before use. If any allergic reaction occurs, discontinue use immediately.
- The oil may interfere with blood pressure or heart condition medications. Thus, consult your doctor before using Ylang-ylang oil in conjunction with other medicines.
- Ingesting large amounts of oil can cause serious reactions with respect to the functioning of the digestive system.
- Breastfeeding may be compromised when large quantities of oil are used.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.