SUMMARY: GOOD | SAFE TO BE USED IN PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS | APPROVED BY REGULATORY BODIES
WHAT IS CAFFEINE: Caffeine is a stimulant found naturally in Coffea Arabica or Coffea Robusta trees. Caffeine is rich in antioxidants and is powered with anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a vasoconstrictor (it constricts blood vessels and reduces puffiness of the skin). The antioxidants and flavonoids present in it help in rejuvenating the skin and stimulating hair growth. Its anti inflammatory properties soothe the skin and reduce redness of skin.
REVIEW OF CAFFEINE
|Name of Brand/ Organization||Paula's Choice||EWG||CIR||FDA||EU Cosmetics Regulation|
Caffeine is one of the most reviewed ingredients. Top regulatory bodies like FDA (Food and Drug Administration ensures the safety, efficacy and security of humans by making sure that cosmetics are safe to use), CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review thoroughly investigates the safety of ingredients used in cosmetics), EU Cosmetics Regulation (It ensures the safety of the consumers while using the cosmetic products) and EWG (Environmental Working Group Skin Deep is a cosmetic data base for ensuring the safety of ingredients being used in personal care products) along with popular skin care brand Paula's Choice have rated it as being safe to be used in cosmetics and personal care products.
BENEFITS OF CAFFEINE: The multifaceted caffeine has the following benefits:
- Reduces cellulite: It dilates the blood vessels below the skin layer and improves the flow of blood. This process enhances appearance and texture of the skin.
- Protects from sun damage: The antioxidant properties safeguard the skin from the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun.
- Boosts collagen production: It firms the skin and improves the even texture of the skin. It fights signs of ageing skin resulting in vibrant, youthful skin.
- Alleviates puffiness: Topical application around the sensitive eye area increases the blood circulation resulting in healthy and vibrant looking under eye skin.
- Prevents acne and pimples: Rich in antioxidants, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it cleans the pores of skin, prevents the clogging of pores and removes the dead skin cells.
- Possesses Anti-ageing properties: The antioxidants present in it fight the free radicals responsible for the formation of wrinkles, fine lines, hyperpigmentation and blemishes.
Thus, this ingredient is widely used in personal care products.