All of us are aware of the fact that water is required by our body inadequate amount to maintain the healthy functioning of all our body parts. It is also a known fact that water is equally important to keep your skin as well as hair healthy and glowing. Many dermatologists and beauty experts suggest that you should drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to maintain your skin and hair at optimal health.
Many of us exercise regularly, eat healthy food, drink lots of water and try to get 6-8 hours of sleep in order to have radiant skin and vibrant hair. But in spite of following all the good and healthy habits religiously, your hair looks dry, damaged and frizzy. Then you should understand that the water you use on your hair is the main culprit. Yes, you heard it right, water can be one of the possible reasons for your dull and damaged hair. Many of us are not aware of the fact that hard water can have a damaging effect on your hair. It can dry out your hair and give rise to itchy and flaky scalp. Hence it is always recommended that you use soft water or distilled water on your hair. Today in this article we are going to discuss the benefits of water rather you can say distilled water for your hair. Keep reading to find out more about how to use distilled water to have a healthy scalp and shiny, bouncy hair.
What Is Aqua Or Distilled Water?
Distilled water is a type of purified water which is generally devoid of any impurities or contamination. Distilled water is produced simply by boiling water and condensing the steam back to liquid. By the process of deionization, the salts and mineral ions are removed from the condensed liquid. Distilled water is considered to be beneficial for your hair and skin. Hence, it acts as a solvent in many skincare and haircare products as it readily dissolves the active ingredients in the formulations to impart its beneficial properties to your skin and hair.
The term Aqua is used commercially in most of the cosmetic products, which means distilled water.
Difference Between Distilled Water And Purified Water
Distilled water is considered to be a type of purified water in which the impurities and contaminants along with minerals and salts have been completely removed. Though purified water is devoid of impurities and contaminants, it retains essential minerals.
Role of Distilled Water In Cosmetic Products
Distilled Water or Aqua is a key ingredient in many cosmetic and beauty products To get the best out of the beauty products, it is very important to use the best quality of distilled water or aqua. Many cosmetic manufacturing companies are using distilled water to enhance the performance of their product formulas. Distilled water acts as a solvent in many skincare and haircare products. It effectively dissolves all the active ingredients in the product formula, increasing the efficiency and absorption of the product. Distilled water has a pH of about 4.5-5 which is close to the skin’s pH, hence distilled water is effectively used in many skin care and hair care products. Water constitutes almost 65-70% in the cosmetic products, hence it is very important that the best quality of water is used in cosmetic products, so as to avoid any kind of allergic reaction on your body. As distilled water is devoid of any toxins, salts and minerals, it is mostly preferred in the cosmetic industry.
Benefits Of Distilled Water For Hair
Hard water can be one of the many reasons for all your hair woes. Using hard water causes the buildup of calcium and magnesium on your hair. This in turn makes your hair dry, brittle and frizzy. In some places, the water is very hard and can have severe damaging effects on your strands. For people living in those places, it is always recommended to use distilled water for washing or rinsing your hair. Distilled water is nothing but pure H2O without any impurities, minerals and salts. Washing or rinsing your hair with distilled water has many positive effects on your hair as it helps to keep your hair healthy.
Coming to the beneficial properties of distilled water, we have listed down some of them for your hair:
- Distilled water is devoid of any kind of harsh chemicals and will not have any damaging effect on your hair or scalp.
- It can make your hair soft and smooth.
- Regular use of distilled water is known to remove even the minute traces of mineral residues from your hair and scalp, thereby improving the condition of your hair and scalp.
- It is also known to have a conditioning effect on your hair. Spraying some distilled water on your dry and frizzy hair can make your strands frizz-free and more manageable.
- It helps to keep your hairstyle intact for a longer time and maintains your well-defined curls.
- It is also known to keep your hair hydrated. It also helps to keep the ends saturated thereby preventing split ends.
- Unlike hard water or tap water, Distilled water is known to retain the natural oil of your strands.
- Distilled water is also beneficial for coloured hair as it helps to retain the hair colour for a longer period of time.
These are some of the benefits of distilled water for your hair. Regular use of distilled water for washing or rinsing your hair will definitely improve the texture and appearance of your strands making them soft, smooth, glossy and bouncy. Due to these beneficial properties, distilled water is used in major skincare and hair care products.
Why Is Distilled Water In major Hair Care products
Haircare products constitute almost 65-70% of water, hence it is very important to ensure that the best quality water is used in manufacturing hair care products. Distilled water is considered to be the purest form of water which is devoid of any contaminants, minerals or salts. Hence, it is the most preferred form of water which is used in the cosmetic industry. In most of the haircare products, distilled water acts as a solvent as it helps to dissolve the active ingredients in the formula, so as to impart it’s beneficial properties to the hair follicles and hair shaft.
Distilled water also forms emulsions so as to allow the oil and water molecules to combine together, thereby enhancing the texture, appearance and performance of your hair care products.
Also Read : 15 Chemicals To Avoid From Hair Care Products
How To Make Distilled Water At Home For Treating Your Hair?
Now that you are aware of the beneficial properties of distilled water, you may want to get your hands on it. You can easily make distilled water at your home. Let’s see how.
- Take a large pot and partly fill it with water.
- Place a collection bowl inside the pot. You can place the collection bowl over the rack so that the collection bowl does not touch the bottom of the pot.
- Place this pot on the burner and cover the pot with a lid. Allow it to boil.
- Create a condensing effect by placing some ice cubes over the lid. You will notice that the steam condenses and starts accumulating in the collection bowl.
- Switch off the burner and slowly remove the collection bowl from the pot. The water that is collected in the bowl is the distilled water which is pure and devoid of any salts, minerals or any kind of contaminants.
You can use this distilled water to wash your hair or add this to your final rinsing part while shampooing. You can fill this distilled water in a spray bottle and use it to condition your dry, frizzy hair.
Uses Of Distilled Water
Apart from being used extensively in the cosmetic industry, Distilled water has a wide range of uses and applications in our daily life.
- It is used in watering plants, to improve the growth of plants.
- It is used in steam irons.
- It is widely used in car cooling systems.
- It is also used in aquariums.
- It is extensively used in laboratory experiments.
- It is also used in certain medical devices such as CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) for treating sleep apnea.
Distilled water is extensively used in the cosmetic industry because of its incredible properties which help to keep your skin, hair - healthy and beautiful. Distilled water is used in major skincare and haircare products in order to avoid any allergic reaction to your skin or scalp due to contaminated water.
Also Read : Hair Care Tips For Making It Smooth And Healthy
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.