Best Natural Oils For Curly Hair
While beautiful curly hair is the most gorgeous crown you can get, it also requires a lot more care. Curly hair is thirsty for moisture as the oils struggle to reach all the parts of the hair. They tend to get dry, tangled, unpredictable and vulnerable to breakage much more easily. Which is why it is much more important to nourish your curly hair, and if you do that well, it will be your best friend forever.
Here are some of the best oils that suit those with curly hair. Remember if you're using essential oils, dilute it with your favourite carrier oil for the hair (such as coconut oil, argan oil, jojoba oil or castor oil etc)
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil moisturises your beautiful tresses by penetrating deep into the hair shaft, rather than sitting on top. It provides essential nutrients to your curly hair and helps to fight protein loss. Regular use of the oil will make your hair appear soft, smooth and silky.
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a rich source of vitamin E and crucial fatty acids that promotes hair growth and helps in retaining the natural oils present in your hair follicles. The heavy texture of castor oil makes sure that using less oil offers adequate benefit. It is advised to wash your hair after applying undiluted castor oil as it can make your hair feel greasy and sticky. We recommend adding Anveya's Jamaican Castor Oil to all your hair care concerns.
Also Read : Castor Oil, The Underrated Hair Care Hero That Deserves Your Attention
JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL, COLD-PRESSED ORGANIC, 100ML
- Jamaican Black Castor oil is a popular and natural oil for HAIR HEALTH & GROWTH
- Antioxidant properties of Jamaican Black Castor Oil helps FIGHT THE SIGNS OF AGEING SKIN
- Omega-9-rich Jamaican Black Castor Oil is popular for BEARD GROWTH & CARE.
- PROMOTING THICKNESS, LENGTH & GROWTH of eyebrows & eyelashes
3. Sandalwood Essential Oil
The anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties of sandalwood oil keep dandruff, lice, swellings and scalp infections at bay. Sandalwood oil acts as a brilliant solution for anti-frizz hair treatment. Also, the warm, woody scent of this oil gives a feeling of refreshment to your curls. Sandalwood oil is a highly concentrated essential oil and hence it has to be diluted with carrier oils like all essential oils need to be. Typically a dilution of 1-2% essential oil in a suitable carrier oil works well. If you feel any allergy or reaction, stop the usage immediately.
4. Argan Oil
Argan oil is the new addition to this natural hair oil community. Due to its light consistency, the oil gets easily absorbed into your scalp and nourishes your hair follicles. Although a little expensive, few drops of this rare oil adds instant shine and glow to your natural curls. Argan oil is called 'liquid gold' because of both its look and because of how valuable argan oil is for skin and hair care improvements.
You can check out Argan Oil from Anveya,This Vitamin E rich antioxidant-packed oil combats premature ageing. The combination of Vitamin E and fatty acids present in argan oil fights hair damage and helps restore bounce, shine and volume to your locks.
MOROCCAN ARGAN OIL, COLD PRESSED ORGANIC, 100ML
- Great for CURLY HAIR & FRIZZY OR DRY HAIR.
- Regulates sebum and controls ACNE BREAKOUTS.
- Vitamin E & anti-oxidant rich – combats the SIGNS OF AGEING.
- Hydrates NAILS & LIPS
Also Read : Argan Oil for Curly Hair - How To Use and Tips To Buy
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a natural emollient with multipurpose benefits. Massaging your tresses with extra virgin olive oil acts as a brilliant pre-spa treatment and helps in deeply conditioning your hair shaft. The oil can be used on colour treated curly hair to prevent your hair strands from turning dry and dull.
6. Jasmine Essential Oil
Jasmine oil is known around the world for its mesmerising fragrance. Interestingly, Jasmine oil is also great at treating dry, irritated scalp by offering instant hydration. Using jasmine oil on your tresses will make them silky smooth and eliminate dandruff. Refer to dilution ratios and recipes from reputed sources as jasmine essential oil is highly concentrated and cannot be used as is.
7. Sweet Almond Oil
This mild, non-greasy, all-purpose hair oil possesses the goodness of almonds and efficiently seals the moisture in your hair. Sweet almond oil works well on all types of curly hair and applying a small amount will improve manageability and add smoothness to the hair shaft.
You should definitely check out Anveya Sweet Almond Oil. It is one of the best oils for massage.
ANVEYA SWEET ALMOND OIL, COLD PRESSED ORGANIC, 100ML
- Antioxidant properties fight WRINKLES & SAGGING SKIN
- Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and magnesium nourish and STRENGTHEN YOUR HAIR
- One of the best oils for MASSAGE
- Rejuvenates dead cells, moisturizes CHAPPED LIPS
8. Palmarosa Essential Oil
Palma Rosa oil works exceptionally well to treat dry, curly hair as it offers intense hydration and nourishment to your hair follicles and scalp tissues. The oil, extracted from the Palma Rosa grass has a captivating scent and encourages healthy, strong hair due to the presence of strong Linalool and limonene compounds. Remember to dilute this essential oil with suitable carrier oil before use in accordance with recipe and dilution guidelines from reputed sources.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
Other than offering a beautiful scent, rosemary oil is also known to soothe inflamed and itchy scalp as well as reduce dandruff. Massaging rosemary oil increases circulation in the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth. Do not to use undiluted rosemary oil on your hair and scalp as it can cause allergies. Refer to essential oil dilution guidelines or recipes from reputed sources.
10. Mongongo Oil
Mongongo oil, derived from the nuts of manketti tree, is an excellent source of potent hair stimulating nutrients like vitamin E and polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid. It helps in regenerating and restructuring your hair follicles and protects your hair shaft from sun damage.
11. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium oil is one of the rare essential oils that help to regulate the production of sebum in your scalp, that further prevents hair loss and scalp irritation. Massaging your scalp with this oil will add shine to your curls and the delightful floral aroma helps in relaxing your mind.
12. Macadamia Oil
Macadamia oil contains naturally occurring antioxidants and high concentrations of fatty acids that works great at reducing the oxidative stress on your scalp and strengthens the hair follicles. This lightweight oil is very effective to calm your hair of frizz, tangles, and dullness.
13. Lavender Essential Oil
The calming properties of lavender oil soothe a dry, irritated scalp and its sweet essence acts as a sleep-inducing agent. This mild, lightweight oil is well suited for sensitive scalp and makes your curly tresses appear hydrated, fresh, smooth, and glossy. Remember to use it in diluted form with a suitable carrier oil such as coconut oil or argan oil. Read more about all the various benefits of lavender oil in this infographic. This heady fragrance of lavender oil promotes better sleep and reduces fatigue. Widely used in cosmetics and perfumery, we recommend adding Anveya Lavender Oil to your skin and hair care regime.
ANVEYA BULGARIAN LAVENDER OIL, 100% PURE, 15ML
- Its floral scent is great for RELAXATION & CALM SLEEP
- Use for Healthy HAIR & DANDRUFF RELIEF
- FACE CARE: Anti-inflammatory properties help Acne and Scars.
- MASSAGE & AROMATHERAPY: natural soothing oil for mind and body
14. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is similar to the natural oil that your body generates. And hence, massaging your hair with jojoba oil helps in balancing out the oil production in your scalp. The non-greasy texture of the oil offers your hair a healthy shine without making your hair feel sticky. Anveya's Jojoba Oil is your bottle to the rescue for complete skin and hair care from the go.
ANVEYA JOJOBA OIL, COLD PRESSED ORGANIC, 100 ML
- Natural and best way to WIPE OFF MAKEUP.
- Rich in Vitamin C, E, B, copper, and zinc to nourish the HAIR.
- Vitamin E and B-complex vitamins help SKIN REPAIR and damage control.
- Antioxidants provide ANTI-AGEING EFFECTS.
15. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most sought-after essential oils to treat curly hair problems as it effectively cuts down frizz and dryness. Also, its antibacterial and antifungal properties help to cleanse, purify and detoxify your scalp along with treating scalp outbreaks. There are a bunch of tea tree oil hair products in the market now that offer tea tree oil benefits. Pure tea tree oil can be used only when diluted (1-2% tea tree oil) in a suitable carrier oil as per recommended recipes from experts.
Why don't you check out Anveya Tea Tree Oil? It combats bacteria and various other infections that causes ill health for your skin, hair,nails and overall wellbeing.
ANVEYA AUSTRALIAN TEA TREE OIL, 100% PURE, 15ML
- Works on ACNE, SCARS & PIGMENTATION due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Application in treating SKIN, NAIL & TOE INFECTIONS
- Great for HAIR. Fights against DANDRUFF with its antifungal properties
- Diffuse for fresh & CLEAN HOME
16. Kalahari Melon Seed Oil
The light texture of the Kalahari melon seed oil provides shine to your tresses without clogging your hair follicles and the fatty acids help to keep your hair moisturised. The presence of copper preserves the natural shade of your curls as well as offers colour protection to colour-treated hair.
17. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang oil is known for its hair stimulating benefits. This exotic oil acts as a natural treatment to reduce hair fall that occurs due to stress and alopecia. Ylang ylang oil deeply moisturises the underlying layers of your scalp and helps to enhance your natural curls. Use as 1-2% ylang-ylang oil in a suitable carrier oil.
18. Neroli Essential Oil
The citrus essence mixed with the intense floral aroma, makes neroli oil an ideal option for treating scalp infections, especially for people with sensitive scalps. It helps to regulate the oiliness and minimizes enlarged pores on your scalp. To be used after properly diluting it in a carrier oil, in accordance with recipes of a reputed expert source.
19. Avocado Oil
This oil is for all the beautiful ladies with thick, curly tresses as it provides deep conditioning to your hair strands, preventing frizz and dryness. The heavy consistency of avocado oil makes it perfect for hot oil treatments and scalp massages.
20. Lemon Oil
Lemon oil acts as a natural antibacterial agent and cleanses your scalp and hair shaft to give it a refreshing feeling. Massaging your hair with diluted lemon oil will help to intensify your bouncy curls and adds shine to them. To dilute lemon oil, use 2-3 drops of it per teaspoon of your preferred carrier oil (coconut oil, argan oil, jojoba oil etc.)
21. Grape Seed Oil
Grape seed oil contains strong antioxidants and proanthocyanins that improves the production of cells in your hair follicles. The oil can be used as a natural hair serum as it seals in the moisture, preventing your curls from split ends and breakage.
22. Meadowfoam Seed Oil
The exotic oil is blessed with over 98% long chain fatty acids that is excellent for rejuvenating dry and damaged hair. It protects your hair strands from the harmful UV rays and acts as a great leave-in conditioner for your curls.
Ways To Use Essential Oils For Curly Hair
While carrier oils such as coconut, castor, argan, jojoba oils can be used directly on the hair and scalp, please note that the essential oils like sandalwood oil, lavender oil and others need to be heavily diluted before use. Learn about the ways to dilute essential oils for hair benefits.
- Mix it with your regular shampoo or conditioner. 2-3 drops per application work well.
- Add 2-3 drops to your moisturizing hair serum or hair creme.
- Settle for a hot oil treatment once every week using a warm concoction of carrier oils and essential oils. 2 drops per teaspoon of carrier oil is recommended. Wash afterwards.
- Prepare your DIY hair mask by infusing one or more essential oils with other natural ingredients like yogurt and eggs. 2-3 drops for a teaspoon works well.
- Since some people are allergic to some natural ingredients, make sure you don't see an allergic or reaction symptom from any of these ingredients. Do a patch test of the carrier oil or the diluted essential oil in a small part of your skin if you're not sure whether you're allergic to something. If the patch reacts with rashes, inflammation or discomfort, discontinue further usage.
Oil Recipes For Curly Hair
1. Lovely Hair Styler/Crème/Moisturizer
What You Need
- Organic aloe vera gel: ¼ cup
- Shea butter: ¼ cup
- Lavender oil: 5 drops
- Palma Rosa oil: 5 drops
- Tea tree oil: 5 drops
- Mix the softened shea butter with aloe vera gel and add the essential oils.
- Blend all the ingredients together using a hand mixer until you get a smooth creamy consistency.
- Store the mixture in a clean glass container and place it away from direct sunlight.
2. Hair Growth Treatment For Longer Thicker Curls
What You Need
- Coconut oil: 1-2 teaspoon
- Lemon oil: 7-8 drops
- Rosemary oil: 7-8 drops
- Egg: 1 raw egg
- Crack the egg and stir in the coconut oil.
- Blend them together to get a frothy texture.
- Add the essential oils and whisk swiftly.
- Apply this moisturising hair mask evenly on your dry hair and tie it up in a bun.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off the hair mask thoroughly and wash your hair with shampoo and cold water.
How To Choose Right Oil?
Using the oil that suits best for your hair type and can improve the texture of your hair, and is the first step towards obtaining healthy hair. Interestingly, curly hair needs extra attention and care as they tend to hold less hydration than straight hair. This means that moisturization acts as a key factor for maintaining smooth curl patterns and cut down frizz. You can use light sealing oils such as jojoba oil if you are applying it on your wet or already conditioned hair as it helps to smoothen your curls. Moisturizing oils like coconut, olive and castor oil works best in case of rejuvenating dull, dry and messy curls because of its heavy consistency.
Also Read : Best Oil for Hair Growth - Benefits and Homemade Recipes
Tips For Curly Hair Growth
- Keep your scalp clean at all times and reduce the application of chemical-based hair care products.
- Avoid using heat styling tools like blow dryers, hair straightens and hot electric hair brushes on your curly hair as it can lead to fried strands and can also permanently damage your hair follicles.
- Opt for a wide-tooth comb or detangle brushes to remove knots and tangles. Never use fine-tooth combs on your hair, especially when it’s wet. Also, do not apply excessive force to your hair shaft to get rid of matted hair.
- Minimise the use of rigid hair bands, elastics made of rubber and metal hairpins as it can lead to hair breakage.
- A slicked-back ponytail or bun when done too tightly can put stress on your hair follicles, severely harming your hairline in the long run.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.