Perfumes present in the market are made up of a variety of ingredients and may contain various harmful chemicals that can cause various problems in an individual and can be very unsuitable for people having sensitive skin. Do it yourself natural perfumes not only helps altering the perfumes according to out personal preferences but it also has environmental benefits.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are naturally occurring oils that are extracted from characteristic plants and is said to have an essence of their parent plant. It can be used in different ways in order to gain some positive health and beauty benefits from them.
Benefits Of Using Essential Oils In All Your Scented Blends
Apart from providing their characteristic smell, essential oils are also added to various scented blends in order to gain some health benefits. Blending certain essential oils in scented blends can help in providing a calming effect and can also help in reducing stress.
Difference Between Fragrance Oils And Essential Oils
The main difference between fragrance oils and essential oils is that essential oils are naturally occurring oils derived from extraction from various parts of the plant whereas fragrance oils are synthetic in nature and are formed by various artificial compounds. Also, essential oils have various health benefits and have various other advantages apart from providing a pleasant smell. Fragrance oils are devoid of any such health benefits.
Most Popular Essential Oil Scents And Their Uses
There are various types of essential oils that are derived from various plants and they have their own characteristic benefits that come along with it. Some of the most popular essential oil scents and their uses along with their properties are described below
1. Rose Essential Oil
Rose essential oil is derived from the flowers and the petals of the rose and depending on the method of extraction they have varying characteristics like colour, consistency etc. For example, the essential oil extracted by steam distillation is called Rose Otto essential oil and is light yellow in colour with a thin consistency, whereas when the essential oil is solvent extracted it is called Rose absolute which is deep red in colour having a thick consistency.
PropertiesRose essential oil has a sweet floral smell and is found to have the following properties:
- Astringent Properties
These are some of the many properties of rose essential oil.
UsesRose essential oil is widely used for the following applications:
- Because of its antidepressant property, it helps in reducing anxiety and depression and also helps in boosting self-confidence and improving mental strength.
- Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties help in healing wounds, muscle cramps, arthritis, gout, fever etc.
- Astringent property helps in preventing the development of wrinkles, strengthens and improves teeth and gum health, and strengthens hair roots.
- It also helps in delaying menopause and helps in preventing various menstrual problems and symptoms like mood swings, cramping, excessive bleeding etc.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
The lavender essential oil is mainly extracted from the leaves and flowers or buds of the lavender plant by the method of steam distillation. It has a thin consistency and is a clear oil with a tinge of yellow in it and has a fresh, sweet, floral and sometimes fruity smell.
PropertiesSome of the properties of lavender essential oil can be described as follows:
UsesThe lavender essential oil is widely used for the following applications:
- Anti-inflammatory properties of lavender oil help in preventing various skin problems like eczema, acne, psoriasis etc. and also helps in soothing insect bites.
- The lavender essential oil is found to have a soothing and calming effect on and also helps in inducing sleep in an individual. Thus, inhaling the smell of lavender essential oil helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
- It also helps in improving hair health. It helps in getting rid of lice and can also be effective in treating alopecia.
- It also helps in improving digestion and alleviating problems such as indigestion, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea.
3. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is derived from the flowers or buds of their parent plant by the method of steam distillation. It appears to be almost grey in colour having a thin consistency. It is said to have a bright, crisp, herbaceous, fruity smell.
PropertiesSome of the properties of Roman chamomile essential oil are listed below:
- Stomachic Properties
- Stress Reliever
UsesChamomile essential oil is widely used for the following applications:
- Roman chamomile essential oil is another oil that is found to be very helpful in relieving stress and also promotes better sleep. It helps in relaxing the mind and helps in combatting depression, anger etc.
- It also promotes digestion and helps in treating various problems like acid reflux, nausea, indigestion, and can also ease menstrual cramps.
- It can also be used in treating wounds and various skin irritations like eczema, redness, burns etc. and can also ease muscle pains and allergic reactions.
4. Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli essential oil is derived from the leaves of the patchouli plant by the process of steam distillation. It appears as deep golden brown in colour and has a medium-thick consistency. It has a rich, earthy, woody aroma.
PropertiesSome of the properties of patchouli essential oil are described below:
- Insecticidal/insect repellent
UsesPatchouli essential oil is widely used for the following applications:
- It helps in improving the metabolism of the body by boosting the immune system of the body. It also helps in getting rid of constipation.
- It is a great insect repellent and is often added in sprays, incense sticks for warding off insects.
- It is most commonly used for treating athlete‚Äôs foot because of its antifungal properties and it also helps in eliminating bad body odour.
- It is also very helpful in solving sexual problems in both men and women by stimulating sexual hormones in them thereby improving their sex drive.
5. Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot essential oil is extracted from the peel of its parent plant most commonly by the process of cold pressing. It has a thin consistency and is greenish or golden in colour. It is found to have a citrusy, floral kind of fragrance.
PropertiesSome of the properties of bergamot essential oil are described below:
UsesBergamot essential oil is widely used for the following applications:
- It helps in relieving congestion and other respiratory problems. Also, as it is anti-spasmodic it is helpful for people suffering from asthma or chronic coughing.
- It is also used for lowering body temperature and its antibiotic properties help in fighting off infections that cause fever.
- Its anti-ageing properties ensure that it's widely used in cosmetics and lotions. It also helps in fading off of scars.
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is extracted from the leaves or flowers/buds of its parent plant most commonly by the process of steam distillation. It has a thin consistency and appears clear with a tinge of yellow. It is found to have a strong minty kind of a fragrance.
PropertiesSome of the properties of peppermint essential oil are described below:
- Natural painkiller
UsesPeppermint essential oil is widely used for the following described applications:
- It helps in providing relief from sunburn and rashes. Apart from sunburns, it is also very helpful for treating various skin diseases like chickenpox, ringworm, scabies etc.
- Peppermint oil is directly inhaled for treating nausea and its effect is observed instantaneously.
- It acts as a natural breath freshener and also improves oral health. It is often added in toothpaste and in mouthwash to avail its benefits.
- It also helps in alleviating headaches by direct application of it on your temples.
7. Lemon Essential Oil
The lemon essential oil is commonly extracted from its peel by cold press method. It appears yellow in colour and has a thin consistency. It has a rich fresh lime kind of aroma.
PropertiesSome of the properties of lemon essential oil are described below:
- Anti-tumour (suspected)
UsesThe lemon essential oil is widely used for the following described applications:
- It is suspected that lemon has anti-tumor properties that have a chemotherapeutic effect. More research is required on this subject.
- It is a great food preservative and also has a natural cleaning effect. Thus, it is found to be present as an ingredient in various cleaning products present in our household.
- It also fights against various respiratory conditions like cough and also boosts the immune system. It also improves oral health and prevents bad breath.
- It also promotes weight loss by promoting the breakdown of body fats.
8. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is extracted from the leaves of the rosemary plant and its flowers are often used as ornaments. It would be interesting to note that rosemary was announced ‚ÄòHerb of the Year‚Äô in 2000 by International Herb Association.
PropertiesSome of the properties of rosemary essential oil are described below:
UsesThe rosemary essential oil is widely used for the following described applications:
- It is found to be very helpful for improving cognition, reducing fatigue, and nervous tension. It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
- It also has many beauty benefits like improving hair health, skin, and also acts as a great mosquito/insect repellent.
- Its antiviral properties also help in preventing STD‚Äôs.
9. Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Sweet orange essential oil appears as pale yellow to orange in colour and is extracted from its peel through cold expression. It has a thin consistency and has concentrated citrusy, sweet orange peel aroma.
PropertiesSome of the properties of sweet orange essential oil are described below:
UsesThe sweet orange essential oil is widely used for the following described applications:
- It is often used in aromatherapy because of its soothing, calming and relaxing effect. This also improves cognition and can also help in aiding Alzheimer‚Äôs.
- It is a great essential oil used for pest control. It is mainly used to repel ants.
- It also helps in improving heart health by reducing blood pressure.
10. Jasmine Essential Oil (Or Absolute)
Jasmine essential oil is sometimes known as ‚Äòthe king of essential oils‚Äô. It is said to be an expensive essential oil and is used in aromatherapy. It has as an exotic, sensuous, intense, warm, sweet characteristic smell.
PropertiesSome of the properties of jasmine essential oil are described below:
UsesJasmine oil is widely used for the following listed applications:
- Aphrodisiac property of jasmine oil helps in improving the libido and increasing sexual drive among individuals.
- It also alleviates stress and improves sleep quality.
- In women, it can also delay menopause and helps during menstrual cycles to overcome mood swings etc.
- It also improves skin health.
How To Make Essential Oils Perfume At Home?
The making of essential oil perfumes at home is a very methodological process. It follows a definite order of mixing essential oils according to your own preferences. A dark colored bottle is often used for making perfumes as it prevents the light to reach the essential oils thus preserving the perfume. Also, we should let the mixture of essential oil perfumes to rest for a couple of days for a long-lasting fragrant perfume. Following the essential oil, perfume recipes involve adding essential oils in a particular order depending on the kind of fragrance we require. This order can be explained as follows
1. Base Note
Base note is added first in the perfume bottle and it contains the fragrance that comes into play only when all the other notes above it fade. The base note can be any essential oil based on your preference and its quantity can vary from 5 to 20 percent of your blend.
2. Middle Note
The middle note is said to be the ‚Äòheart‚Äô of the perfume blend which comes into play after the top note fades away. It makes the biggest portion of the perfume blend that is about 50 to 80 percent. The essential oil used as a middle note depends upon your own personal preference.
3. Top Note
The top note contains the essential oil that is present at the top and whose fragrance fades away first. It can vary from 5 to 20 percent of your blend. Its fragrance comes to play as and when the perfume bottle is opened and quickly fades away.
How To Make Essential Oil Perfume Last Longer?
We can make essential oil perfume last longer by adding alcohol to the blend. The amount of alcohol added depends upon the amount of perfume blend created and alcohol should be added accordingly. The alcohol added depends upon your choice. Vodka is often used as it has no flavour and does not disturb the perfume blend.
How You Can Blend Essential Oils?
Blending essential oils depends on the kind of perfume and fragrance you are aiming for. Grouping of essential oils is important in order to make the blend have the desired fragrance. The essential oil blend should be shaken thoroughly before use. Also, after the making of the blend, you should let it rest for a few days before use for best results. It should be ideally left for 30 days for the essential oils to blend completely.
Essential Oil Scent Combinations
Essential oils can be grouped on the basis of the similar scents of different essential oils. This type of grouping is mainly essential for making perfume blends. Oils having similar scents are said to blend well together. On the basis of their scent types, they can be widely grouped into the following categories
Essential oils having woody scents are Patchouli, Blue Cypress, Sandalwood, Frankincense.
Essential oils having floral scents are Jasmine, Lavender, Rose, Palmarosa, Geranium, Rosemary.
Essential oils having spicy scents are Clove, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon.
Essential oils having citrus scent are Peppermint, Chamomile, Sweet orange, Lemon, Bergamot.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.