When you wake up in the morning feeling energetic and well-rested, but the moment you look at the mirror you feel disappointed because your face is looking dull and dry. No worries, the face mask is there for your rescue. You can whip up a face mask from the ingredients easily available in your kitchen. Using the right face mask helps you to correct many skin concerns like dryness, dark spots, uneven skin tone, acne and makes your skin look picture perfect. Choosing the right face mask for your skin type and applying it correctly can bring a huge difference in the texture and appearance of your skin, effectively tackling your major skin concerns. Keep reading if you also want to perfect the art of using a face mask to amp up your skincare routine.
Face masks are considered to be the perfect skincare treatment that effectively tackles your skin conditions and when used rightly can help to enhance the texture of your skin. Applying a face mask is a good way to pamper your skin. Face masks are also rich in vitamins, antioxidants and other active ingredients which hydrate your skin, remove excess oil, unclog your pores making your skin look fresh and rejuvenated.
Types Of Face Mask
Apart from homemade face masks, there are several types of face masks available in the market and each one has its own benefits for your skin.
Face mask traps the moisture inside the skin and the active ingredients present in the face mask helps to nourish, hydrate, remove excess oil from your skin’s surface.
Face Mask For Each Skin Type
You can choose a face mask depending upon your skin type and your skin concern.
- Dry Skin- Cream-based face mask is especially beneficial for people with dry skin type. It improves the hydration level of the skin. Experts recommend applying a cream-based face mask overnight for maximum hydration.
- Sensitive Skin- Gel based face masks are beneficial for people with sensitive skin.
- Oily Skin- Clay or mud-based face masks are suitable for people with oily skin as clay absorbs excess oil from your skin.
- Acne-Prone Skin- Enzyme cream face mask or bubble masks are good for acne-prone skin.
- Hyper pigmentated Skin- Face mask rich in antioxidants, is beneficial for hyperpigmented skin.
Now you can easily select a face mask based on your skin type and your skin concern. You should apply a face mask on your skin in a gentle circular motion so that the mask gets absorbed into the skin easily and to maximize its efficacy.
Benefits Of Using A Face Mask
You should include a face mask in your skincare regime, as it helps to make your skin healthy and radiant. Just like facial serum and moisturizers, a face mask is high in vitamins, antioxidants, essential nutrients and other active ingredients which work together to bring out the healthy glow on your face. The face mask is equally beneficial for both men and women. Let’s check out the benefits of using a face mask.
Also Read : Estheticians Reveal Their Best Skincare Regime
- Face masks are occlusive in nature, create a barrier over your skin surface and seal the moisture inside the skin. Thus, keeping your skin well hydrated for a longer period of time.
- Gives an instant boost to your skin.
- Pulls out all the dirt from your skin, unclogs the pores and prevent breakouts.
- Improves the elasticity of your facial skin.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines, giving you youthful and radiant skin.
- Decreases the appearance of large pores.
- Lightens dark spots and evens out your skin tone.
- Removes dead skin cells from the skin surface, adding glow to your facial skin.
- Absorbs excess oil from the skin, giving you a fresh look.
- Helps in better absorption of other skincare products such as moisturizers and serums.
How To Apply Face Mask
In order to reap all the benefits of a face mask, you should be able to master the skill of applying a face mask in the right way. We will be sharing with you how to apply a face mask perfectly in five easy steps.
- Wear clothes which you won’t mind getting messy. Pull back your hair and put it into a bun/ponytail, so that your hair does not fall on your face.
- Before applying a face mask, cleanse your face thoroughly. Get rid of all the excess oil, dirt and makeup from your face by using a facial cleanser. You can exfoliate your skin to eliminate dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Start applying the face mask on your damp face and remember never to rub the mask on your face. Apply the face mask gently and evenly all over your face, extending it down to the neck and throat areas. Avoid applying to the area around your eyes and nostrils.
- After applying the mask, relax and let the ingredients in the face mask do their work. During that time you can sit back and relax. Don’t let your face mask dry up, wait for 10-15 minutes or read the instructions mentioned on the label of your face mask and follow accordingly.
- While removing the mask don’t rub your skin vigorously as it can irritate the skin. Instead, use plenty of water and a washcloth to wash off the mask completely from your face and neck. Pat your skin dry with a microfiber towel.
- Now your face looks pristinely clean, well-hydrated with that added healthy glow.
Skincare Hacks For A Healthy Face Mask Experience
- It is a good idea to apply an under-eye cream or gel around your eyes, before applying a mask to protect the delicate skin under your eyes from dryness.
- When it’s time to remove your face mask, simply place a washcloth dipped in warm water and let it remain for a few seconds. Repeat this process 2-3 times, so that your face mask loosens and comes off easily from your skin. This makes it easier for you to remove the face mask.
- The best time to apply a face mask is before you take shower so that you can completely wash off all mask in the shower.
- Open your pores before applying a face mask so that the active ingredients present in the face mask easily penetrate into your skin. You can do this by dipping the washcloth in hot water and squeeze out excess water. Place this warm washcloth on your face and let it remain for 3-5 minutes.
- Apply the face mask using an old foundation brush, with the brush you can apply the mask more easily and it ensures even application of the mask.
- Don’t let your face mask dry out completely as removing the mask can irritate your skin.
- Use cold water to remove the mask as it helps to close the pores of your skin.
- After washing off your face mask, hydrate your skin with a moisturizer or facial serum whichever you feel comfortable using.
- And last but not the least, be consistent in your skincare regime. Don’t expect any skincare product to do magic overnight. You should follow a regular skincare routine and follow it diligently. Apply the face mask twice or thrice a week depending upon your skincare needs.
When To Use A Face Mask
It totally depends on your skin type and your skin concern.
- If your skin is extremely dry, then you may have to use a hydrating face mask every alternate day.
- For people with oily skin, a clay mask works wonders as it absorbs excess oil from your face, but remember that you should not be using it more than 2-3 times a week, else it will dry out your skin.
- If you have mature skin with wrinkles and fine lines, then you consider using a face mask rich in antioxidants to fight free radicals and collagen to enhance the elasticity of the skin. An anti-ageing face mask should not be used more than twice a week.
How To Use A Peel-Off Face Mask
Peel-off masks are gel-based which are beneficial in exfoliating, removing excess oil and unclogging the pores, making your skin clear and radiant. Apply the mask evenly all over your face (avoiding the area under your eyes and around the mouth) and neck, wait for the gel to harden, once it hardens, peel it off.
How To Use A Sheet Mask
The sheet mask is less messy and hassle-free as compared to the DIY face mask you make at home. Instead of using a gel or cream as a face mask, you can simply place a sheet mask on your face. This facial sheet is rich in essential nutrients and vitamins, apply the remaining serum all over your neck, hands and elbow. Wait for 15 minutes and gently remove the sheet mask. You can discard the sheet mask.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.