Because of its versatility, Sweet Orange Essential Oil or commonly known as Orange Oil has become one of the most popular Essential oil for health and beauty benefits. It also has a sweet cheerful aroma used for its benefits in aromatherapy.
What is Orange Oil and How is it Extracted
Orange Oil is produced by the cells within the rind of orange fruit. Orange Oil is mainly extracted by steam distillation, cold-press method. The most abundant phytochemicals (natural plant chemical) in Orange oil is d-limonene which has numerous health benefits. The orange essential oil is commonly used as
- Mood Enhancer and Relaxant
- Skin Tonic
- Household Cleaning Agent
- Deodorant/ Room Freshener
While it is a much-loved essential oil, orange oil has to be used with certain precautions. Like all essential oils, orange oil is highly concentrated and needs to be diluted before use. Read general guidelines for diluting essential oils before use. Also, some people are allergic to certain natural ingredients so make sure you're not allergic to orange or orange oil before you begin using it well. The following side effects have been observed in certain cases:-
Side Effects of Orange Essential Oil
- Orange Oil is highly photosensitive i.e sensitive to sunlight. Which is why one shouldn't step out in the sun immediately after the application of an orange oil recipe.
- Prolonged exposure to Orange Oil on the skin can cause contact dermatitis, skin burn and skin irritation.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should avoid using Orange Oil.
- People with sensitive skin should avoid Orange Oil.
- A high dose of Orange Oil can cause nausea, vomiting and can hamper appetite.
- People who are allergic to citrus fruits should avoid using Orange Oil.
- Use it for external application only.
Precautions while using Orange Oil
- Always ensure to dilute Orange Oil with a proper carrier oil (such as Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil or Coconut Oil)
- Always do a patch test before topical application to check for skin allergies.
- Orange Oil and all Citrus Oil are photosensitive, so avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Always store in a dark place.
- Avoid topical application on the skin which is exposed to sunlight.
- Always ensure to use the best quality organic Orange Oil from a trusted brand.
- Kids, pets, pregnant and nursing women and people under severe medical conditions or medical care should avoid using orange oil.
Note: Before using Orange Oil or any other essential oil it is always recommended to seek a doctor’s or a professional’s advice.
Take a closer look at all the ways orange oil is used for beauty and wellness benefits. Here is an infographic on the benefits of lemon oil, another essential oil from citrus origin and aroma.
ANVEYA ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL, 100% PURE, 15ML
- Great for SKIN, FACE & ACNE
- Hair Health: Prevents CLOGGED PORES or the formation of fungal infections.
- Mood-Lifting AROMATHERAPY: Enjoy the fresh, citrusy aroma
Written By - Akhila Menon
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.