Hydration is a must for all hair types to maintain the overall hair health and make them look shinier. Experts believe that you cannot forego the benefits of deep conditioning for your curly hair. Curly hair requires maximum conditioning as the natural oil produced by the scalp is not able to reach the tips because of the angular growth of the curls, thus making your curls look dull, dehydrated and frizzy. Winter is the time when your curls are in dire need of moisturization.
Generally, the store-bought conditioners are full of harmful chemicals which tend to damage your strands. So the safest alternative is to opt for homemade conditioners made up of natural ingredients. These conditioners are sure to soften your curls, keep them hydrated, frizz-free, shiny and bouncy. Here are some wonderful DIY conditioning recipes to tame your dry, coarse and textured hair.
What Is Deep Conditioning?
Deep conditioning is a technique of providing extra moisturization and nourishment to dry, frizzy and coarse hair, in order to make the curls shiny and bouncy. It increases the elasticity of your hair, making it less prone to breakage. It restores the natural moisture of your strands, adds strength to your curls and revives the damaged curls. Simply put, deep conditioning is the extra hydration boost which keeps your curls healthy, beautiful and manageable.
Who Needs It?
Deep conditioning is extremely beneficial for all hair types. If you are a person who travels a lot, swims often then you should definitely go for deep conditioning. Excessive use of styling tools and chemical treatments can also strip your hair off the natural oil, making your hair dull, dry, frizzy and damaged. In such cases, deep conditioning can come to the rescue of your hair.
A simple way to understand whether your hair needs deep conditioning is to notice your hair, if it breaks easily, becomes frizzy and tangled, then without a second thought, just start with deep conditioning. But remember not to over-condition your hair, as too much of anything is bad for your hair.
Benefits Of Deep Conditioning For Your Curls
Before getting started, lets quickly go through the benefits of deep conditioning in reviving and rejuvenating your tresses:
- Hydrates Hair: It restores the lost moisture from your strands and increases the moisture content.
- Reduces Frizz: It helps to redefine your curls, thus reducing frizz.
- Revives Damage Hair: It provides vital nutrients to your strands, thus repairing the damaged strands.
- Enhances Shine: Adding extra nourishment and moisturization to your strands, effectively enhances its shine.
- Strengthens Hair: It increases the elasticity of your curls, reduces breakage by adding strength to your strands.
Deep conditioning helps to redefine, revive and rejuvenate your curls. It gives your thirsty curls the much-needed hydration.
List Of Some Incredible Beauty Ingredients Which Can Deeply Condition Your Tresses
These are some of natural beauty ingredients which are the considered to be the best deep conditioning agents.
- Coconut Milk
- Olive Oil
- Glycerine & Honey
- Apple Cider Vinegar
DIY Deep Conditioners For Curly Hair
Here are some incredible DIY Deep Conditioning recipes which will provide intense hydration to your curls and make them frizz-free and tangle-free
1. DIY Deep Conditioner For Dry & Damaged Hair (H3)
Egg And Jamaican Black Castor Oil Conditioner
Jamaican Black Castor Oil is popular for its hydrating and nourishing properties which promote hair growth. Egg being rich in proteins, vitamins and biotin is beneficial in treating dry and damaged hair. This conditioner is extremely effective in maintaining hydration, reducing hair fall and promoting the growth of healthy hair.
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Egg – 1
- Take Jamaican Black Castor oil, break the egg in a bowl and blend them well.
- Apply this mixture evenly over your strands.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Provide heat, so that all the cuticles open up and the penetration of the ingredients becomes easy
- Wash it off with cold water.
Follow this method once or twice a week depending on the texture of your hair.
2. DIY Deep Conditioner For Low Porosity Hair (H3)
Coconut Milk, Argan Oil & Honey Conditioner
Low porosity hair is difficult to deal with as the cuticles are tightly packed and the absorption of products is difficult. By applying heat, cuticles open up and allow your deep conditioner to penetrate easily into the strands.
- Egg -2
- Argan Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Coconut Milk- 3 tablespoon
- Honey- 1 tablespoon
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Blend it well.
- Apply this mixture evenly all over your hair, cover it with a shower cap.
- Apply blow dryer your strands for 10-15 minutes (so that the cuticles open up) OR simply wrap a hot towel on your head over the shower cap.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes and wash off with cold water (to seal the cuticles, so that your hair retains moisture)
You can do this once or twice a week.
3. Best Home Made Moisturizing Deep Conditioner For Naturally Curly Hair
Mayonnaise, Egg & Yogurt Conditioner
It is one of the best deep conditioners for naturally curly hair as mayonnaise is known for its intense moisturizing property and is beneficial in redefining your curls. An egg is rich in protein, Vitamin A and E, which are rich in lutein that adds shine to your tresses and yoghurt conditions your hair. This ultra-nourishing and moisturizing deep conditioner will leave your hair soft, shiny and bouncy.
- Mayonnaise- 3 tablespoon
- Egg- 1
- Yoghurt- ¼ cup
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl and blend them well.
- Apply this thick paste over your hair strands from root to tip.
- Put on a shower cap and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
You can apply this deep condition once a week for shiny, bouncy and frizz-free tresses.
4. Leave-In Conditioner For Dry Curls
Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner
This deep conditioner works wonders on your dry, frizzy curls and makes your hair soft, smooth, well hydrated and more manageable. Shea Butter is rich in Vitamin A and E and essential fatty acids which provide moisturization to your strands. Coconut Oil is an excellent moisturizer which also protects your hair from damage. Grapeseed oil restores natural shine and makes your curls more vibrant.
- Shea Butter (raw) – 2 tablespoon
- Coconut Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Grape Seed Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Melt Shea Butter and coconut oil by using a double boiler method.
- Blend it well and to this add Grape Seed Oil.
- Pour the contents in a wide mouth jar and freeze it for 15-20 minutes.
Your leave-in deep conditioner is ready for use. You can store it and use as and when required.
5. Deep Conditioner For Frizzy Curls (H3)
Aloe Vera And Sweet Almond Oil Conditioner
Aloe vera is a natural ingredient which is well known for its nourishing and moisturizing properties, making the hair soft, smooth. Sweet Almond Oil conditions your frizzy hair, making your curls well hydrated and tangle-free.
- Aloe Vera- 1/4 cup
- Sweet Almond Oil- 2 Tablespoon
- Water- 2 Tablespoon
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this mixture onto clean & damp hair.
- Let it rest for 45 minutes and then wash off.
You can apply this mixture twice or thrice on your hair or as per the requirement.
Above mentioned are few DIY Deep Conditioning recipes which will make your dull, dry and unruly curls, more manageable, adding natural shine and bounce to your curls. Choose a homemade deep conditioner which best suits the requirement of your of tresses and enjoys healthy and well-maintained curls.
How To Do It Right?
Instead of the store brought deep conditioners, opt for homemade deep conditioners for your dry, frizzy and textured hair, as store-bought deep conditioners are laden with harsh chemicals which may damage your strands. But first, you should know how to do it right.
1. Choose A Deep Conditioner As Per Your Requirement
Apply your homemade deep conditioner on cleansed hair and scalp, to facilitate better penetration and absorption of the ingredients into your shaft. Start applying on your hair from mid-length towards the end (the ends are drier than any other part of your hair).
2. Slather More
Apply a generous amount of the conditioner covering every strand, paying special attention towards the ends as they tend to get dry, and brittle very soon.
3. Cover Up
Cover the hair strands with a shower cap after applying the conditioner.
4. Provide Heat
For better results, you need to provide some heat to open up the cuticles, which aids in better absorption of the conditioner. You can try using blow dryer over your head through your shower cap.
5. Leave It On
Leave it for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off the conditioner with cold water (cold water helps to seal the cuticle). Then you can use any leave-in conditioner or serum.
Do this once or twice a week depending upon the texture of your hair.
Following these simple yet efficacious DIY deep conditioners will help you get those bouncy, shiny and glossy curls.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.