Hair dryness is one of the major causes of hair fall. When your hair is not able to hold moisture, it looks dull, dehydrated, and brittle, leading to various hair issues like hair fall, hair thinning, split ends. Just as you apply creams and lotions to keep your skin well moisturized, similarly you need to impart hydration to your hair. Long, smooth, lustrous, bouncy and vibrant hair is something we all love to flaunt. But the day to day activities like exposure to pollution, UV rays, chlorinated water, excessive use of heating tools, styling products can lead to dry, brittle and damaged hair.
In this article, we will be sharing some incredible home remedies and effective tips to take care of your dry, damaged hair at home and make them silky, shiny and bouncy.
What Are The Common Causes Of Dry Hair?
There are several factors that contribute to hair dryness. In order to treat hair dryness, you need to figure the exact cause of the dryness and brittleness. Let’s understand the common causes of hair dryness.
1. Unhealthy Eating Habits
Unhealthy eating habits can contribute to hair dryness. Too much oily, spicy food and junk food can affect your hair health as well as your scalp health. Include a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Consume food rich in essential fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6 to maintain healthy hair. Ensure adequate intake of proteins in your diet by including food such as milk, egg, beans, shrimps, oyster, cottage cheese, nuts. Drink lots of water to keep your body, skin and hair well hydrated.
Sometimes genetics can also be a reason for your dry hair. If that is the sole reason for your dry, brittle hair, then home remedies and making slight changes to your diet will certainly help you out.
3. Excessive Use Of Shampoo
Washing your hair twice a week is ideal to keep your hair and scalp clean. Excessive use of shampoo can strip your hair of its natural oil, making it look dry, dull and brittle. Look out for ingredients such as Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate, as these are potent cleansers found in your shampoo that strip the natural oils from your hair, instead look for ingredients like natural oils and milk protein in your shampoo, that would nourish and moisturize your hair.
4. Excessive Use Of Styling Tools
Excessive use of styling tools means exposing your hair to heat which can have a detrimental effect on your hair, making it look dry, dull, frizzy and brittle. It is always better to minimize the use of styling tools and even if you are using it occasionally, apply a heat protectant on your hair before styling it.
5. Weather Woes
Extreme climatic conditions can take a toll on your hair health. The UV rays, dry and arid wind, pollution and humid climate can deteriorate your hair health and scalp health. It is always better to wear a scarf or hat whenever you step out of the house to protect your extreme environmental conditions.
6. Hard Water
Hard water i.e water with high mineral content, can also be a culprit behind your hair dryness. The minerals present in hard water deposit on the surface of your strands leading to mineral build-up which can damage your hair making it look dry, brittle and frizzy.
7. Not Trimming Your Hair Regularly
If you skip the regular trimming session of your hair, then it can have an adverse effect on your hair health. Ideally, you should get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks to maintain healthy and vibrant hair.
DIY Remedies For Dry, Dull And Damaged Hair
You can tackle hair dryness and maintain healthy, nourished and well-moisturized hair by following these simple home remedies.
1. Rosehip Seed Oil Hair Mask
Rosehip oil is rich in vitamins, fatty acids and antioxidants which help to repair the damaged strands, nourish and hydrate your scalp and hair. The linoleic acid of Rosehip oil stimulates hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
- Take 1 tablespoon of Rosehip oil, 2 tablespoons of Jojoba oil and 3 drops of Peppermint essential oil.
- Mix all these and apply to your damp hair from root to tip.
- You can leave this for a minimum of 30 minutes on your strands.
- Rinse the mask with a mild shampoo and warm water.
2. Sunflower Oil And Egg Mask
Sunflower oil is well known for its emollient property. It is rich in Vitamins A, E, essential fatty acids, mono and polyunsaturated fats, which makes your hair, soft, silky and smooth. Egg yolk is rich in proteins that nourish and repair your hair.
- Whisk the egg yolk and add 1 tablespoon of wheat germ oil.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Sunflower oil to this mixture.
- Apply this mask evenly on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo.
3. Honey And Egg Mask
The egg is healthy and a nutritious option not only for your health but also for your hair as it is rich in protein. Your hair is made up of protein, hence an adequate intake of protein ensures good hair health. Honey is known to condition your hair, making it soft and shiny.
- Take the egg yolk and to this add 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and apply evenly on your scalp and hair.
- Let it rest for 20-30 minutes and wash off using a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
4. Coconut Oil And Shea Butter Mask
Coconut Oil is powered with antioxidants and repairs the damaged hair shaft. It nourishes and moisturizes the hair follicles promoting hair growth. Shea butter is known to be an elixir for dry and damaged strands.
- Melt Coconut oil and shea butter using a double boiler method.
- Add 1 teaspoon of argan oil to the mixture.
- Mix well until you get a creamy texture.
- Apply this mask evenly on your hair and scalp.
- Let it remain for 30 minutes and shampoo as usual.
- Repeat this once or twice a week depending on the texture of your hair.
Effective Tips And Quick Fixes For Treating Your Dry, Dull & Damaged Hair
- Avoid the use of hairdryers and other styling tools as heat can deteriorate the condition of your dry hair.
- Let your hair air dry as it is a much safer option and won’t damage your strands. It protects your hair from dryness and breakage.
- Do not step out of your house with wet hair as wet hair acts as a magnet attracting all the dirt and dust causing damage to your strands.
- Sleeping with wet hair is also not advisable as your hair becomes more prone to breakage.
- Don’t comb your hair vigorously, be gentle while brushing your hair. Always use a wide-mouthed comb.
- Brush your hair every night with boar bristle brushes which stimulate the scalp and helps distribute the sebum from your roots to the tip.
- Always use a silk or satin pillowcase while sleeping as a cotton or linen pillowcase can create friction, causing breakage and tangles in your strands. Moreover, a cotton pillowcase absorbs oil and moisture from your hair, making your hair dry and frizzy.
- Avoid tight ponytails as they can cause hair breakage and weaken your hair structure, leading to receding hairline.
- Include food rich in proteins, vitamins and fatty acids in your diet, as a nutrient-rich diet helps to keep your hair healthy and well hydrated.
- Avoid hot showers as they strip the natural oil from your hair, leaving your hair dry and brittle.
- Trim your hair at regular intervals.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.