Let’s be honest, we all have brought many different shampoos that claim to help us get off the never-ending cycle of dandruff. But we all know the result of that, these chemical materials don’t help us treat dandruff permanently. Also, we sometimes end up damaging our hair with the extensive use of chemicals all in the name of curing dandruff.
No matter how much circulation for it to be true, essential oils are not some magic potion that is going to cure your dandruff overnight.
But using essential oil daily in your hair care routine will surely help you treat dandruff.
Before learning about different anti-dandruff, we will get to know how these essential oils help in treating dandruff.
How Essential Oils Help To Treat Dandruff?
Dandruff is mostly the result of poor circulation in the scalp, use of tons of hair cosmetics or when you don’t rinse off the shampoo properly. Unhealthy eating habits can also be a cause of dandruff.
Essential oils help to boost The anti-fungal provide nourishment to your scalp which will naturally help in getting rid of dandruff. The anti-fungal & anti-microbial properties present in essential oil help in treating dandruff.
8 Best Essential Oils To Get Rid Of Dandruff
There are many different essential oils present for solving our dandruff and itchy scalp problems. In this article, we have shortlisted 8 best essential oil for dandruff and itchy scalp. We have also mentioned the scents, benefits, how to use and side effects of all 8 essential oils mentioned below. Read on to learn about what essential oil is good for dandruff.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil For Dandruff
Tea tree oil has a fresh camphoraceous odor and a colour that ranges from pale yellow to nearly colourless and clear. tea tree oil blends well with geranium, lavender, lemon, myrrh, rosewood, rosemary, clary sage, clove, cinnamon, and thyme. It provides a soothing and cooling sensation when applied to the itchy and inflamed scalp.
Benefits Of Using Tea Tree Oil
- Get rid of spots and pimples
- Moisturize your skin
- Treat infections
- Soothing skin conditions
- Treat dandruff and dry scalp
- Treat acne scars
- Long and thick hair
How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Treat Dandruff
- Add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in eight ounces of shampoo.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing to allow the scalp to absorb all the benefits.
Side Effects Of Using Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil can be poisonous if swallowed.
- Using tea tree oil in concentrate form can cause itching and irritation.
- It also results in skin dryness and itching.
- Allergic reactions such as redness and burning sensation.
- Tea tree oil is consumed it can cause confusion, inability to walk, unsteadiness, rash, and coma.
2. Thyme Essential Oil For Dandruff
Thyme oil is a pale yellow to reddish-brown in colour. It has a fresh, sweet, and herbaceous aroma. thyme oil blends well with the essential oils of Grapefruit, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary, and Pine.
Benefits Of Using Thyme Oil
- Increases blood circulation
- Boost immune system
- Regulate blood pressure
- Treat dandruff and scalp infection
How To Use Thyme Oil To Treat Dandruff
- In a bowl mix 5-10 drops of thyme oil with 1 tablespoon of honey and half cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Pour this mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray liberally on your scalp daily.
- It will help in getting rid of dandruff and stimulate hair growth.
Side Effects Of Using Thyme Oil
- If consumed it can lead to a digestive system upset, headache, or dizziness for some people.
- Also, cause skin irritation for some people.
3. Lavender Essential Oil For Dandruff
Good quality lavender oil has a sweet, floral, and woody smell. It is pale yellow in colour. Lavender oil blends well with Rose, Geranium, frankincense, Pine, Lemon, Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Rosemary, Clary Sage, etc. It’s anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory property help keep fungus away that causes dandruff.
Benefits Of Lavender Oil
- Cure anxiety
- Improves sleep and brain function
- Heal Wounds
- Reduce acne
- Slow aging process
- Treat dandruff and itching scalp
How To Use Lavender Oil To Treat Dandruff
- Mix equal parts of Lavender oil and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Massage this oil onto your scalp.
Side Effects Of Using Lavender Oil
- Can cause headache
- Lead to constipation
- Increased appetite
- Can cause skin irritation when used topically.
4. Rosemary Essential Oil For Dandruff
Rosemary oil has a clear refreshing and herbal aroma which makes one's heart feel lighter and refreshed. It is clear in colour. Rosemary essential oil blends particularly well with thyme, chamomile, basil, frankincense, lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oil.
Benefits Of Using Rosemary Essential Oil
- Get rid of bad breath
- Acne oil treatment
- Natural deodorant
- Stimulate hair growth
- Ease stress
- Treat dandruff
How To Use Rosemary Oil To Treat Dandruff
- In a bowl, mix Rosemary oil and any carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp by massaging it with your fingers.
- Afterward, keep massaging for about 5 minutes.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel and leave it for an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Side Effects Of Using Rosemary Oil
Consuming undiluted rosemary oil can cause
- uterine bleeding,
- kidney irritation,
- increased sun sensitivity,
- skin redness, and allergic reactions.
5. Lemon Essential Oil For Dandruff
It has a strong citric aroma and is mostly clear in colour but can have a green undertone of it is made from green lemons. It is mostly used in aromatherapy. It is made from lemon peel and has many health benefits. Lemon essential oil blends well with Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium, Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Ylang Ylang.
Benefits Of Using Lemon Oil
- Detoxify and rejuvenates skin
- Reduce excess oil from the skin
- Get rid of pimples, acne, and acne scars
- Bring back glow to dull skin
- Get rid of dark spots
- Treat dandruff and get rid off the flakey and dry substance
How To Use Lemon Oil To Treat Dandruff
- Mix 3 tablespoon of coconut oil, 7 drops of lemon oil, 7 drops of tea tree oil and 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for overnight.
- Wash it off with a mild, natural shampoo in the morning.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Side Effects Of Using Lemon Oil
- Can result is rashes and irritation when applied to sensitive skin.
- When used in high doses can cause dizziness, vomiting, seizures and other problems.
- If used frequently can cause damage to the scalp and greying of hair
6. Frankincense Essential Oil For Dandruff
Frankincense oil has a fresh and clean smell. It has an earthy aroma with warm, fruity and spicy undertones. The oil is pale golden in colour. Frankincense oil blends well with many other essential oils such as sandalwood, lemongrass, peppermint, orange, lavender, cedarwood oil etc.
Benefits Of Using Frankincense Oil
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars and wrinkles
- Lift and Tighten skin
- Naturally, slow the signs of aging
- Get rid of dandruff
How To Use Frankincense Oil To Treat Dandruff
- Make a head massage oil by mixing 5 drops of frankincense oil to 1 ounce of sesame oil.
- Massage your scalp every week with this oil.
Side Effects Of Using Frankincense Oil
- Rashes on sensitive skin
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Stomach pain
- Hyperacidity and nausea
7. Peppermint Essential Oil For Dandruff
Peppermint oil has a sharp, fresh and menthol aroma. It is clear to pale yellow in colour. Peppermint oil blends well with Oregano, Geranium, Grapefruit, Marjoram, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary, and Tea Tree essential oils.
Benefits Of Using Peppermint Oil
- Improves hair growth
- Prevent hair loss
- Fresh smell in the scalp
- Get rid of dandruff
How To Use Peppermint Oil To Treat Dandruff
- At five drops of peppermint oil to your everyday regular shampoo.
- Wash your hair with your peppermint oil shampoo.
Side Effects Of Using Peppermint Oil
- allergic reactions
- burning mouth syndrome
- Flushing and headache
- mouth ulcers
- rash and skin irritation
8. Cedar Wood Essential Oil For Dandruff
Cedar wood essential oil has an earthy and woody smell like that of a rainy day in a forest. The oil is copper or yellow in colour. Cedar wood essential oil blends well with Cinnamon, Lime, Bergamot, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lemon, Lavender, Rose, Rosemary, Peppermint, and Neroli.
Benefit Of Cedar Wood Oil
- Improve inflammatory skin conditions
- Soothe dry scalp
- Promote hair growth
- Treat oily and acne-prone skin
- Treat dandruff
How To Use Cedar Wood Oil To Treat Dandruff
- Add 2 drops of Cedar wood oil to coconut oil.
- Massage your scalp with this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Let it sit on your scalp for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Side Effects Of Using Cedar Wood Oil
- As this oil is very strong it can cause damage to the digestive system.
- Or cause nausea and vomiting
- Excessive thirst
Written By - Shireen Khan
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.