It is a known fact that curly hair is difficult to manage, as it is more prone to dryness and frizziness. You cannot attain well-defined, perfect curls without putting efforts. You need to plan out a definite hair care routine to get that perfect curls. From washing to styling your hair - everything needs to be taken into consideration for determining the end result.
One thing that most people miss out on is - hair drying. It is important to understand that how you dry your hair has a major impact on your curls. Excessive blow-drying and use of styling tools can have a detrimental effect on your hair. In this article, we will be sharing simple hair drying techniques for your curly hair which will cut down on the dryness, frizziness and tangles.
Drying Techniques For Curly Hair
Hair drying is an integral part of your hair care routine, which many of us often ignore. There is a correct way of drying your hair- if you master it, you will have your gorgeous curls turning heads in a room full of people.
The common assumption is that there are only 2 ways of hair drying- drying your hair with a blow dryer and without a blow-dryer. But the fact is that there are plenty of hair drying techniques. We have picked up some of the best expert-recommended drying techniques for curly hair which will keep your curls well-defined and well maintained.
1. Plopping Curly Hair (H3)
It is the best drying technique for curly hair as it reduces drying time and effectively tames your frizz. This is very gentle on your curls as compared to towel drying which absorbs all the water and moisture from your strands making them dry and messy. For plopping your curly hair, all you need is your moisturizing leave-in conditioner and a cotton T-shirt which will absorb just the right amount of water while leaving your curls defined, hydrated, well-nourished and frizz-free. Let's see how to do it.
- After the shower, squeeze out excess water from your curls.
- Apply your ultra-hydrating leave-in conditioner on your hair, starting from the mid-length towards the end.
- Lay your cotton T-shirt on a chair, bed, table or any flat surface with the collar facing you. Bend over the T-shirt such that all your hair gathers in the centre of the T-shirt.
- Fold the T-shirt at the back of your head, gather both the sleeves, cross around the back, and tie it at the front.
- Once you secure your hair, let it dry naturally and then untie the T-shirt.
- Detangle the curls gently with your fingers.
Now you are ready to reveal your moisturized, soft, luscious locks.
2. Micro-Fiber Towel Drying For Curly Hair
It’s time to ditch your regular bath towel and switch to a micro-fibre towel, as it absorbs more water and creates less friction, which means less hair breakage. Micro-fiber towel is more gentle on your strands and won't make your hair frizzy.
- Blot your hair dry with a micro-fibre towel.
- Apply a moisturizing deep-conditioner on your curls while they are damp, followed by your favourite hair curl styling product.
- Let it air dry and you are ready with hydrated, well-defined curls.
3. Diffusing Your Curls
A hair diffuser can prove to be a time-saver when you are running short of time. A hair diffuser helps to control the amount of heat and air on your curls. Hair diffuser is always a better option as compared to a blow dryer as it is more gentle on your curls and does not create frizz.
- After the shower, squeeze out excess water from your strands.
- Apply a leave-in deep conditioner and top it up with your curl styling product.
- Cup your curls in the diffuser and switch on the diffuser.
- Diffuse your curls on a low heat to prevent hair damage, dryness and frizz.
4. Air-Drying Curly Hair
Try air-drying for ultimate curl definition. It is one of the best and easy methods to dry your curls. It is hassle-free and is the favourite of many curly-haired people as it requires only one thing i.e your time.
- After hair wash, rinse out your conditioner and squeeze out excess water.
- Apply your hair mousse or any of your favourite curl defining product.
- Let it air-dry. Avoid touching your curls while drying as it can create frizz.
Once dry, you are ready to flaunt your hydrated, glossy and defined curls.
5. Condition And Comb
You can dry your curls faster by following this simple hack which is shared by our haircare expert. Applying conditioner helps to dry your curls quickly.
You will notice that slathering your hair with a conditioner, helps your hair dry quickly. The silicone present in the conditioner seals the moisture inside your hair shaft and repels water.
After washing your hair, apply conditioner.
- Keep a wide-toothed comb handy, so that you can comb your hair while applying conditioner, as it facilitates even application of conditioner.
- Leave it for a few minutes, before rinsing off.
Thus, your saturated hair absorbs less moisture and dries faster.
As per our haircare expert, never blow dry your hair when it is sopping wet. It not only is time consuming but subjects your hair to a lot of heat which can dry out your hair and create frizz. Follow this simple method before blow-drying your hair.
- After a shower, wrap your hair in a micro-fibre towel and allow it to absorb maximum moisture.
- Leave it for some time and then undo your hair.
- Apply a heat protectant, then blow dry it starting from the roots.
Experts recommend blow-drying your hair when it is almost 40-50 % dry.
If you feel that despite taking good care of your curls, using the best hair care products available in the market, your curls still lacklustre and always seem to be dry and frizzy. Then, it's time for you to focus on your hair drying technique. You are blessed to have curly hair and instead of struggling with your curls to keep them defined and glossy, embrace your curls. You can try any of the above-mentioned hair drying techniques, to keep your curls defined and well maintained.
Expert Tips For Drying Your Curls Faster
- If your hair is exceptionally thick, divide it into 4-5 sections and dry each section before moving on to the other.
- After a shower, air-dry your hair and apply a mousse. It helps to dry your curls faster and also keeps your curls hydrated.
- For drying your curls quickly, choose a haircare product which contains heat-conducing polymers as it acts as a heat protect and accelerates the drying process.
- If you are blow-drying your hair, then pick a comb which is beneficial in drying out hair quickly. You can use a ceramic vented round brush which allows the air to pass through and dry your curls faster.
- While using a blow-dryer or a hair diffuser, remember to keep the temperature at low or medium.
- Use a ceramic or tourmaline blow dryer as it efficiently dries your curls without damaging it.
- Use hair care products specially curated for curly hair, to meet the requirements of your curly hair.
- After blow-drying your hair, you can finish off your look by applying a hair serum for that glossy and smooth finish.
And that’s how you can get your charming curls to do the talking!
Curls Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner For Bouncy And Tangle - Free Curly Hair
- Specially crafted for Indian Curly Hair. Make your curls bounce with life and give them beautiful structure with this sealant extraordinaire conditioner to get gorgeous looking and healthy curls.
- This defrizzing and nourishing conditioner is enriched with natural botanical ingredients like the Wheat Amino Acids with low molecular weight promote elasticity of the hair, improve the texture and strengthen the hair.
Disclaimer: All the content on anveya.com/blogs is solely for information. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.